Question What Sat Nav?

krsimosho

I'm looking at getting an all singing all dancing sat nav that does live traffic, free map updates and worldwide maps etc

Currently I'm looking at TomTom 6100, is this a good option or are there better options out there?

cosmicma

the two main contenders are garmin and tomtom, iv'e had both over the years
the garmin came with loads of bells n whistles but it was all subscription based which meant paying a yearly fee to keep using them
garmin has some fairly neat features but they also had a quirky route planner i find tomtom to be much better as a straight navigation device but they don't seem to have as many bells and whistles
for instance garmin have a feature that will show you real time motorway traffic cameras they also have flight information letting you know if a flight is delayed etc.. all done via data link with your mobile phone ( more expense )

out of the 2 i prefer tomtom the route planning is better which at the end of the day is what you bought it for

the 6100 looks to have some very useful features without giving you stuff you don't really need
lifetime maps is fairly mainstream nowadays the free speed camera lifetime thing is quite useful it normally cost around 20 quid a year which over 5 years can more or less half it's cost

iv'e had the tomtom via 135 for the last 2 or 3 years and what makes it useful is the lifetime maps
out of date maps on a satnav tends to relegate them to the bottom of a cupboard

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom