1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What RPTV? - this is a headache!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mrgrill, Nov 1, 2004.

1. mrgrill

mrgrill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm driving myself nuts trying to sort out what TV to get. I think myself and my gf have decided that we want RPTV cos of the price per inch. We get more screen for the buck. But we don't want to splash out a crazy price.

I was all set for the LG 44" DLP rptv for £1200, but I think she thinks that's just over our budget. So my question, does anyone know any decent RPTV's under £1000.

There is this samsung, but I cannot find any reviews of it? SamsungRPTV

Also, just a few more things. Is this a CRT RPTV or LCD? Anyone got of these. is it good value for £729, or should we spend a bit more.

Oh and I play my Xbox a lot and am worried about Burn in - is this a massive issue.

Or, alternatively, I feel like jacking it all in and just settling for a £600 32" Pana/Tosh/Philips CRT.

I just need some words of wisdom (and a little persuasion)
    Cheers

HELP!!! :rolleyes:

2. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The link doesn't work. It's the wrong way round. It need to be [ url = url ] description [ /url ]

3. mrgrill

mrgrill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. :blush:

I've corrected it now.

4. mpeg10

mpeg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    for £729 ths samsung looks good value, i've seen it at my work (comet) . If you compare it to prices of rear projections 18 months ago its a bargin. Plasmas and LCDs had been driving down the prices of rear projection. If you can go the extra mile go DLP based rear projection, check out the sagem it is £2000 at my work down from £2800 a few months ago and probably even cheaper online, really worth the extra ££. If not then i probably would go for the samsung due to the size/£, 32" CRT will have a better picture but i belive the samsung is almost as good and will have more of a lasting appeal.

I have'nt seen the LG DLP, been told its very similar to the sagem, which in my view is stunning. Its not really down to your girlfriend thinking its a little over budget unless she frequents these forums to, and it almost Christmas, probably worth that little extra. Remember you'll get a good life out of a DLP based unit and they are H.D. ready so consider it more of an investment :thumbsup:

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The best bang for buck has gotta be budget front projection. Your budget will get you the Epson TW10 (LCD) or Infocus X2 (DLP). So keep the small telly for news and neighbours, but bring down the big screen for some real fun!!

I'm not the biggest fan of LCD RPTVs, bit too washed out if you ask me. Alternatively wait until you can afford DLP RPTV which is night and day better! Sagem @ £2k is a nice price drop, but, ThemeScene RD50 is also £2k and uses the much better HD2+ DLP chipset.

6. mrgrill

mrgrill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks people. We don't really want Front projection. It's either CRT or RPTV. I'm not too fussed about Plasma or LCD (plus there too expensive). I guess we'll just have to decide for ourselves, I'm just finding this a massive trauma!!!!

I was thinking RPTV would be good. I was just trying to gage an opinion on the Samsung SP42Q2HLX. For £749 it seems a good price. But is it any good?

Just don't know

Ta

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moved to RPTVs.

:smoke:

8. critch

critch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have one of the samsung v please with it BUT still tryng to tune it in aggh its nightmare i know u can get a good picture have seen it in the shops, but it will be worth it in the end

have used a ps2 on it and no rpobs yet