What RPG game to get next?

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having completed FF 13 I'm interested in another RPG.

I've been looking at White Knight and Star Ocean but leaning towards Borderlands.

I've looked at the gameplay for Fallout 3 but didn't see that fun and a very awkward looking type of rpg tbh.

I've read Demon Soul is coming this week but looks more of a hack n slash game and heard its really difficult.

I've read Demon Soul is coming this week but looks more of a hack n slash game and heard its really difficult.
it's not a hack & slash game, playing like that will get you killed.

It's a very atmospheric and rewarding game, it's brutal in it give you very little help and makes you feel alone in a large creepy world.

It's not really a RPG in the same sense as some others though, i.e. there not really trading as such, only purchasing and upgrading but no selling.

It's one of my fave games, so much so I'm buying it all over again on the EU release.

i got resonance of fate - great game and far more complicated. Same artists as shadows of memories as well from sega which is a bonus!

also eternal sonata is great as long as you dont mind a mad story!

Having completed FF 13 I'm interested in another RPG.

I've been looking at White Knight and Star Ocean but leaning towards Borderlands.

I've looked at the gameplay for Fallout 3 but didn't see that fun and a very awkward looking type of rpg tbh.

I couldn't stand RPG's but there was nothing else about that i liked at the time so i got Fallout 3 and it has turned out to be my top game of all time, it is a great game and well worth a try even if your not sure + you can play it first or third person view just my oppinion though...:thumbsup:

I don't care about the story anymore, I ended up skipping every fmv in Final Fantasy 13. They don't make make them good anymore.

As long as the game play is good and engaging thats all that matters, FF 13 was quite enjoyable despite the lack of towns.

Borderlands seems very interesting, resonance of fate the battle is good but the actual gameplay doesn't seem interesting and the colour palette looks like what I expect from Resident evil games. lol

Too bad they hardly do any demos, I just don't get why they only release demos for sports game.

I'll look out on ebay and avf, this way I could try and get several rpg games for a lower price in case I end up not liking one.

I forgot about a more recent release that I throughly enjoyed. If you like retro 2D RPGs, and particularly SNES Zelda, you should love 3D Dot Game Heroes. :thumbsup:

yep - resonance of fate is good.

I think the best thing about it is that it is different to FF13. After that game , which was great, the worst thing to do it is to go and replicate another 50 hrs of gameplay on a different one.

Best to try an alternative rather than a similar in my mind. Fallout 3 is good as well!

good choice and while youre at it - buy shadow of memories for the ps2 or psp as well - great adventure game!

I'm playing through Borderlands with a couple of mates at the moment.

I'd describe it more as a shooter with a RPG bolted on.

It's ok, the environments are a little bland and it can be a bit repetative but for a co-op game I'd say it's worth it.

Would I play it on it's own if I was into RPG's, probably not.

i'm into RPG's and i'm quite enjoying Borderlands single player (on pc), but it does get a bit annoying how often the enemies respawn, sometimes even when you're backtracking through an area you cleared 5 minutes previously. I'd only recommend getting it if you like FPS games because as clc.sheff said, there's a lot more FPS than RPG in it. I'd imagine it's a pain in the ass playing with a controller though, sometimes you get bombarded by 10+ enemies at once on the pc version.

I haven't played much game since march because of all the coursework and exams but I'm now finished.

I have got GOW 3, Heavy Rain and all these ps3 exclusives too play, but will buy them later on.

The Saboteur and Godfather part 2 both look pretty awesome and i've yet to complete GTA liberty city stories. I recently completed Resident Evil 5 gold edition, so will be trading that in and getting Borderlands and Resonance of fate.

Depending on how much time you like to invest in a RPG game you can't go far wrong with demon's souls, While it will punish you it really is a great game once you learn what to do and what not to do.

The Saboteur is a great game, one of the best on the machine.

:rotfl::laugh::rotfl::laugh:

Hardly... for a title in development for around 4 years, it turned out like a complete turd.
it's mercenaries 2, with a different skin, it's mediocre at best, and I obviously wasn't the only one who thought so, as it didn't sell too well, on either format, and the devs got canned in "cost cutting" even before it was released.

The Saboteur is a great game, one of the best on the machine.

Hardly... for a title in development for around 4 years, it turned out like a complete turd.
it's mercenaries 2, with a different skin, it's mediocre at best, and I obviously wasn't the only one who thought so, as it didn't sell too well, on either format, and the devs got canned in "cost cutting" even before it was released.

I loved Saboteur. Put some serious hours into it to get the Platinum. Although, I did trade it in after that. I'd hardly call it a rental as it can take a lot of hours to get the top end trophies out of it (if you like that sorta thing).

Why has nobody mentioned Dragon Age:Origins as a good alternative RPG? (unless I missed it). I really need to get back into that, but FFXIII, RDR, Bayonetta, etc etc etc just keep getting in the way. Too much choice, & not enough hours in the day.

I blame work - inconsiderate employer just expecting me to put in a full week at work just to get paid.

Speaking of which, suppose I should do some.:rolleyes:

Nah.:D

I have white knight chronicles and had the jap and us imports of demons souls and will also pick it up again.
White Knight is a nice little game but for sheer power demons souls which was my game of the year last year should not be missed by anyone.
I also loved fallout 3 and Valkyrie Chronicles

Out of interest have you got a 360
Mass Effect 1 and 2 are worthy in anyones gaming collection i also loved fable 2 along with Tales of Vesperia :thumbsup:

I loved Saboteur. Put some serious hours into it to get the Platinum. Although, I did trade it in after that. I'd hardly call it a rental as it can take a lot of hours to get the top end trophies out of it (if you like that sorta thing).

Why has nobody mentioned Dragon Age:Origins as a good alternative RPG? (unless I missed it). I really need to get back into that, but FFXIII, RDR, Bayonetta, etc etc etc just keep getting in the way. Too much choice, & not enough hours in the day.

I blame work - inconsiderate employer just expecting me to put in a full week at work just to get paid.

Speaking of which, suppose I should do some.:rolleyes:

Nah.:D

I agree - The Saboteur is a good game. In fact, it's one of the few sandbox games I've bothered to play to completion. I put in around 35 hours to obtain the plat. Although, I'm not sure why it's being discussed in an RPG thread because it's clearly not an RPG.

Dragon Age: Origins is a worthwhile game. Borderlands is fun, especially the co-op.

Valkyria Chronicles is an often overlooked and very underrated game - give it a go.

It was, and still remains, an excellent title and a stratosphere away from being considered a 'complete turd' - there are more than enough very positive reviews that attest to this. Of course in terms of sales it probably drowned under an annual slew of sequels. Most games with a hint of originality seem to suffer the same fate.

I've also played some of Mercenaries 2 which was obviously unfinished and nowhere near as compelling, in fact it wasn't very good at all. The only similarity being that they were both sandbox titles by the same developer.

If you never had the fortune of playing it when it was released for the original Playstation, then 'Vagrant Story' is available on the store, and in my opinion, one of the best RPG's ever created, regardless of era or platform.

If there were ever a sequel announced, then I think I'd take a month off work at release date !

Star Ocean was also quite poorly reviewed across the board, which I disagreed with - I loved it. Maybe as it was the first true JRPG available for the PS3 I was a bit more sympathetic towards it, but I put so many hours into it and just became engrossed after a while. It doesn't have the polish of FFXIII, but is well worth a purchase. :thumbsup:

Like others have said Dragon Age Origins is excellent. I imported Demon Souls from the US but it is very unforgiving in terms of user mistakes. I thoroughly enjoyed it but can understand why some people would dislike it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom