1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What RP Tosh to get?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by solo21, Dec 14, 2003.

1. solo21

solo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm a newbie to the world of TV's, but I'm looking to upgrade. I've currently got a standard Panasonic tv - but I want a bigger, widescreen model to go in my living room.

I've been tempted by all of the Tosh RP deals that are floating around at the moment. I've got a budget of ~£1000; which one would be best for me?

I'm looking at a 42"w, but other than that I'm not sure. I'll be using it for DVD's and Sky+ - do I need 100hz and/or progressive scan? Are the new 'WH' models significantly improved over the older (cheaper) PW models?

I'm likely to get it from www.rgbdirect.co.uk (the shop's local to me), and am currently thinking either the 42PW23P at £875 or the 42WH36P at £1064.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally speaking I love my 42pw23 and for the price it's an amazing TV. I decided against the 42wh36 because at the time it was £350 more. Also I don't like how sky+ looks on 100hz sets.

However the progressive scan is definitely good to have, but not essential.

I play plenty of NTSC DVD's and the interlaced image has never bothered me. I'm sure being 8ft away from the set helps in this regard.

3. solo21

solo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info!

Can you make use of progressive scan on 50hz mode? I've heard several people now mention that Sky+ doesn't look good on 100hz.

4. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 42pw23 can't do prog scan. As for the 100hz I agree with them, i've had 2 direct view CRT's with 100hz, it really shows up weak signals on sky.

5. solo21

solo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a little confused about progressive scan here. I'm not bothered about 100hz over 50hz, but I'm wondering if the WH may be worth getting for it's prog-scan capabilities.

Does prog-scan work with any input, or does it have to be from a prog-scan enabled source?

I'll be using sky+ and a dvd (without any mention of prog-scan) playing mostly PAL discs - will I be able to use it with these?

6. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The input device has to be able to output a prog signal. Most do this via component output, tho some DVD players (kiss dp-450) can output the prog signal via scart.

If you are playing mostly PAL DVD's you may find you dont' need prog-scan.

7. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Luckily, although you may think you need an external source to benefit from Prog Scan, with the WH36 there is a 'Progress' (Progressive) mode that will deinterlace a normal interlaced signal internally, i.e. you can get a psuedo progressive scan image from a normal source.
    Although purists may correctly argue that on off board deinterlacer (i.e. progressive scan DVD player) is a better way of doing it, the internal Progress mode does remove all scan lines which at times is a big improvement..

I'm a bit biased having got the 51wh36, but since my local curry's has now got one of these on the floor, and since its parked next to the LG DLP, and Sony DX2, its clear that the wh36 series is quite a bit better detail wise then its peers.. mind you the pw33 doesn't look shabby either..