What Room would you choose

gaz2810i

I am moving house and the attached image is the downstairs layout of my new abode.

There are 2 rooms, one is a converted Garage (currently a study) and one is a large open plan L shape living space.

Screenshot_20220320-172922_Rightmove_1.jpg

Out of the options I will have available to me what would you choose. (my current 65", 7.1.2 set-up is in my Signature)

Location A (Previously converted Garage)
Location B (Maintain Large L shape living space)
Location C (Maintain Large L shape living space)
or
Option D Build a partition wall converting large L-Shape living space into two smaller spaces with either Location B and or C being used as a cinema room.

What would you do and what would you recommend?

Open to any suggestion including screen location and Speaker placement including downsizing from 7.1.2 to 5.1.2 or even upsizing and installing in ceiling speakers. or even a different partition wall location.

What do you say? :)

gaz2810i

I'd use the garage but go the whole hog and have a projector with an acoustic screen and turn it in to a proper home cinema!
I have been seriously considering that just not sure where I would put the screen, speakers etc?

The window on the one end and the door on the other is what is seriously throwing me off!

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Garage. Apparently a square room is bad acoustically so that rules out the room in top. With the main room too many doors, access ways and openings.

gaz2810i

Garage. Apparently a square room is bad acoustically so that rules out the room in top. With the main room too many doors, access ways and openings.
Thank you. How would you orientate in that room with the window one end and a door to the other?

@gaz2810i

Do you need to use the top door on the 'garage' or could it be blocked off internally - just with a false wall so you wouldn't have to physically get rid of it or brick it up??

gaz2810i

@gaz2810i

Do you need to use the top door on the 'garage' or could it be blocked off internally - just with a false wall so you wouldn't have to physically get rid of it or brick it up??
It's the only internal door to the kitchen.

OK....So just to get my head around it...you have to walk through the 'garage' to get from the L shaped room (living room?) in to the kitchen??

gaz2810i

Apologies I wasn't very clear. The previous owners had converted the Garage into a room. The door at the back goes to a small dining room that is open plan to the kitchen.

When they did the work, I assume they boarded up the original door to the kitchen to maximise the wall space in the kitchen, as well as the L-Shape living space.

Ash2341

Have you got a floorplan that includes the dining room and kitchen? Might help in visualising the space options.

I would probably go for using the garage room. How has it been converted currently....is it a usable room? If it is currently used as a thoroughfare to the kitchen it may not be the best option as a home cinema. If you could open up a doorway from elsewhere to the kitchen/dining space then that would be ideal if you want to use the garage.

Are you considering a projector?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom