1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What rights do I have under a 5 year guarantee

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by blackbull, Sep 3, 2003.

1. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, About 20 months ago I purchased a Panasonic TX28PL10 TV set from John Lewis. I have noticed two vertical "shadows" going down the screen, after doing a search on this forum I have found this is not a one off but a common fault of the set. Can anyone tell me how John Lewis react to such problems I would like the set replaced as it appears from your forum that it cant be repaired but I am now worried that the problem will simply occur on any replacement they may send me.
    The "shadows" themselves are becoming more and more noticable, I intiallly could only notice them either on a stationary screen predominantley of a single colour but it now visible at all times and even my wife can now see them!!
    Will JL or Panasonic be liable to give me a new error free set?

2. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    A five year guarantee will usually mean that any defects will be fixed for free within that time period. You aren't automatically entitled to a refund......

but sometimes if the fault is beyond economical repair (in their opinion) they will have to offer you an equivilent replacement (or possibly a refund if you grumble a lot!) - Now if the CRT is faulty, as it sounds it may be, then JL might decide it better to offer you a replacement than for them to pay out for a very costly CRT replacement.

However if they decide it needs a new CRT to fix the problem and they're happy to pay for the repair, then really that's as much as you're entitled for, afterall, you did get a 5 year guarantee to cover faults.

3. blackbull

blackbull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Orbitalzone:)