1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What resolution will HD movies use? Problems?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by crazyswede, May 17, 2005.

1. crazyswede

crazyswede
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might be a stupid question and its probably been answered...

Looking at Microsofts HD movies got me thinking :eek:

To get the best picture on a LCD screen you want 1:1 and this will be less of a problem when HD movies and transmissions start. HD LCD screens will either be 720p or 1028p, so if I am right a 720p LCD will have at least 720 pixel rows vertically.

But what about horizontally?

For me the most important thing for me will be movies. What will their standard horizontal resolution be? 1280 or 1366 pixels? So if I had a screen with a resolution of 1366 x 768 and the movie I watch is 1280x720 then I will either have black bars on the side to get 1:1 or it will be stretched and I will not get 1:1 which not make the PQ the best. Maybe you will not notice it... and if you had a TV with the resolution of 1280 x 768 and the movie was 1366 x 730 then on this screen it will be downsized and therefore not 1:1.

I hope you can see what I am trying to say.

It will probably not make a difference... and I am worrying about nothing :oops:

crazyswede

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    And if you think about it you only get the 720 pixels if the movie is 16:9 ... for a proper 2.35:1 movie you'll only be using around 480/500 pixels vertically anyway ;-)

Bring on the 1692 x 720 screens and then I'll not think i've been diddled on picture quality !!

Jon

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    I sincerely hope that HD movies will mostly be 1920x1080.

4. Image Retention

Image Retention

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    60hz 1080p would be nice

5. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I assumed they'll be 1920x1080i or 1280x720p?? These are the only proper HD sizes around. In one of the other posts on here someone noted that an MS WMV-HD is 1440x1080p but I'm pretty sure that's anamorphically squeezed 1920x1080p to save on bandwidth? Seeing as transmissions for hidef screens are 1080i or 720p then I'm guessing even if the material isn't the same it'll be scaled to fit one of the other.

6. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I quoted that the T2 WVM-HD was 1440 * 1080P, this was due to the fact the MS was not able to get hold of the 1920*1080P version, so they had to use the 1440 version for compression, kinda stange though seen as it is MS and they should be able to get anything...

7. Chris Bellamy

Chris Bellamy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi, crazyswede,
    you're actually talking about the pixel count of the HD image, and matching that 1:1 with your screen/PJ pixel count, which is sensible. But remember, the resolution of the image contained within that data is not the same thing, although it is actually what we are really interested in; up until now, few screens with a nominal HD pixel count have been capable of resolving that level of detail, even if it were present in the broadcast image data, which there is no reason to suspect it will be; it certainly isnt present in any current HD broadcasts elsewhere, and I somehow doubt the resolution (strictly, the static luma resolution) of the UK HD transmissions will approach their nominal pixel count, so your concern is maybe not such a big issue in practice in terms of losing the resolution held in the image. What may be as important to critical image quality is the screens ability to fully resolve 8 bits of intensity levels, which is apparently beyond many consumer digital screens/PJ at present, and they end up using multi-pixel dithering-related techniques to conceal (beyond my expertise to describe, I'm afraid),

Chris

8. crazyswede

crazyswede
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies. :)

I don't know what to think... I guess the bottom line is not to worry, because a few extra pixels should not be a problem... the problem is when you make big jump from the res of dvds to the hd tv's....