1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What resolution to run at - SD Plasma

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by alvins, Feb 16, 2005.

1. alvins

alvins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an ATI card hooked up to an NEC SD Plasma display and need a little advice on what the best resolution to run this thing at. I don't have any problems - just want to work out how to get optimum picture quality.

I have the following info from the manual -
    And also the resolutions -

[​IMG]

Also, else where in the manual -

Currently I am running at 848x480 - 16:9. Video card can't seem to run at 852x480. Any help appreciated.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As usual the manual is as clear as mud, though it seems that 852x480 is indeed the ideal resolution, it's always best to try to get what's called "1:1 mapping", ie. the desktop resolution is the same as the display .. although the display is said to be 853x480 it's telling you to use 852, not sure why.

As you have found this is not a standard resolution and so the ATI control panel doesn't offer it .. what card do you have BTW? The way around this is to use a utility called Powerstrip. As long as your video card supports custom resolutions then PStrip should be able to set the size you need.

3. alvins

alvins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep got powerstrip and have been playing around with getting some of the supported resolutions running with the right refresh rates. I have a 9600Pro. Can get 848x480 but not 852x480 - doesn't really matter since it this res it says it is bypassing internal scalers.

Just doing some visual testing though - I cannot see the difference in visual quality when running at this res and 1376x768. Done tests visual tests with a couple of dvds and they seem to look the same at either of these res. How would I go about doing some proper testing?

Also, how about when I am running HD material eg. WMV HD clips or HDTV - should I stay at 1:1 mapping?

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    alvins.

I use a SD plasma, a panasonic 6 series. I have found a nice picture quality can be had with PAl stuff running at 600p (1066 * 600 @ 50 hz) I just programmed this into powerstrip myself, and it looks fine. I think it has something to do with the onboard scaler doing a better job of downscaling rather than upscaling.

This plasma performs very different to my projector, a sony HS10. On that, I can tell straight away if a signal isn't 1:1pixel mapped, but the plasma isn't so easy to judge. Trust your eyes, and go with whatever resolution you like.

Rob