what resolution for vga

Reaction score
just brought the vga for the 360 initially it looked quite bad but after turning down the brightness it looks better needs more colour but cant seem to do this on my tv i actually own the toshiba 47wlt66 which is a 1920+1080 panal but will not except this as a source so which res should i b using on the xbox dashboard also are there any gamma settings to play with or is just resolution that the 360 does.

If you look at your instructions for the Tv it will most likely state VGA in = max = 1078x768 or something to that affect.

If you look at your instructions for the Tv it will most likely state VGA in = max = 1078x768 or something to that affect.
ok cheers

you could try setting the TV to 4.3 mode, then set xbox 360 to 1024x768 *widescreen* (you should see a vertically streched image) then set the TV to wide (via remote)

This method works great on my 37wlt66 not sure if it will work on yours though being a higher res panel and all.

you could try setting the TV to 4.3 mode, then set xbox 360 to 1024x768 *widescreen* (you should see a vertically streched image) then set the TV to wide (via remote)

This method works great on my 37wlt66 not sure if it will work on yours though being a higher res panel and all.

can u mess about with your colour settings with your tosh cause it does seem to have a crisper pic with the vga with a slight loss of colour

No. VGA video levels are part of the May update i believe.

Correct, although not dicussed in the official update list, Gamespot have had first hand experience with the new update and not only is their better VGA support and more resolutions, but also Black Level settings too!

sounds good it needs it ,its a sharp pic but way to bright and low on colour

Correct, although not dicussed in the official update list, Gamespot have had first hand experience with the new update and not only is their better VGA support and more resolutions, but also Black Level settings too!

Excellent, you have a link to a video/article I'd like to read/watch please :)

I have seen no reference to any of the comments you have stated in the Gamespot 360 update feature.

Link please?

No Mention at all about new VGA Settings:

Main Features:

A richer Achievement notification pop-up will showcase the name of the unlocked
Achievement and the gamerscore value without needing to leave the game to check
the Achievements list.
Enhanced family settings features for Xbox Live communications enable different
defaults for video chat and voice chat.
A new Xbox Live Marketplace blade lets Xbox Live members access
the content they seek—whether it is game content or TV shows and movies (available
in the United States)—from one place on Xbox Live.
Updates to Xbox Live Arcade allow owners to quickly see which Xbox Live
Arcade games their friends are playing and join in the fun. Xbox Live members
can also compare progress of leaderboard scores and Achievements directly with
all friends on their friends list. Expanded "Tell a Friend" capabilities make
it easier than ever to boast about Achievements and high scores.
Expanded "Tell a Friend" capabilities make it easier than ever to boast
about Achievements and high scores.
A new option in Auto Downloads provides faster access to the entire collection
of free, trial-version Xbox Live Arcade games.
New progressive download controls provide easy access to optimal viewing
options by letting people fast-forward, rewind, pause and resume as their video
is downloaded from Xbox Live Marketplace.
Extension of the background download functionality will allow owners to
set their Xbox 360 console to turn off automatically after downloads are complete.

Additional Features:

The name of game in tray is now displayed in the dashboard.
(Finally)
When the tray icon is highlighted, a list of achievements, game icon and
gamerscore for that game is displayed.
Video trick modes are enabled for content that is being progressively downloaded
from Video Marketplace.
Playback progress bar indicates download completion.
Improved skip forward, skip back functionality during video playback.
Switchable aspect ratio now available during video playback (Auto to Letterbox,
Zoom, Stretch, Native).
Player and friends lists now quickly show session presence information for
quick identification of users that are joinable.
Support for streaming WM-DRM protected content from a PC
Folder view for video content on connected devices
H.264 video support: Up to 15 Mbps, Baseline, Main, and High (up
to level 4.1) Profiles with 2 channel AAC LC and Main Profiles.
Added MPEG-4 Part 2 video support: Up to 8 Mbps, Simple Profile
with 2 channel AAC LC and Main Profiles.
Show folder hierarchy for video content played from all devices.
Bookmarks are stored for each video that the user plays remembering the
users last location in the file as well as the aspect ratio that the user choose
for that file.
Video trick modes (fast forward, rewind, chapter skip) can now be used while
downloading Video Marketplace content.
Skip forward and backward functionality has been improved to skip to the
next or previous chapter. Each video is divided into 10 “chapters” allowing
you to quickly skip around video content.
The information bar that is turned on via the On Screen Display (OSD) now
shows you exactly where you are in the playback of the video file. In
addition it will also show for Video Marketplace content how much of the file
has been downloaded and where the “chapters” exist in the file.
Windows Media protected content (WM-DRM) can now be streamed from the PC
to the console. If the WM-DRM license is missing or corrupted then a specific
error message is displayed to the user. Bookmarking is also stored for protected
content.
When the user is in the dashboard and an Xbox 360 game is in the
console then the name of the game is displayed in the tray icon of the dashboard.
If the user highlights the tray icon then achievements and gamer score are displayed
for that game based on the signed in user. Xbox1 games show the name and image
of the game.
Bookmarks are stored for each video that the user plays. The user can delete
all bookmarks but this will reset all bookmark information for every video that
the user has played. The bookmark database is exposed in the system/memory/system
items
When a user selects an item for download from Marketplace then the system
will determine if there is sufficient disk space for the item and, if not, will
ask the user to delete content on the HDD. The system provides a sorted by size
list of videos, game trailers, demos and arcade content to aid the user in the
deletion process. The same list of items are also available from within memory
so that users can quickly see which items are consuming the most disk space.
The console will block the user who attempts to download content onto a
storage device that will never have the capacity to store the item without deducting
any points associated with the content item.
The screensaver is disabled when playing photos from any source

just found this from AVSFORUM posted by amirim, not exactly sure what it means:

'Answering other questions, both Xbox 360 Elite and current Xbox 360 units will have a spring (console) update which adds support for different video levels for VGA output (“7.5 IRE vs 0”). And as someone mentioned, using this setting you should be able to use computer monitors in addition to TVs with resolutions all the way up to 1080p with high fidelity and no issues with HDCP handshaking. So for current users, I highly recommend trying this update with your VGA connection to see if it does the job for you. Note that this is a console update and will work for both games and of course, HD DVD. The HD DVD software update is separate from this (and will be available on both Xbox Live and xbox.com).

On output video format, Xbox 360 Elite will perform a handshake and select the appropriate RGB/YUV settings over HDMI. You cannot select it yourself.'

im still a little confused, sorry, my tv is a panny th42px70 plasma, it can take a 1080p hdmi signal and a vga signal res up to 1280x1024 with lots of other resolutions too at different frq. if i wanted to upscale my dvds and get the best picture should i get a vga cable (after the update) or wait and get an xbox elite with its hdmi output? i dont want to spend much if i can help it cus ive just bought this big tv... :D

If you dont want to spend much then the VGA cable is your only option as buying a brand new console (whenever its released) will be a tad more expensive.

yeah, i kinda realised that indy:D ha ha.
the thing is i love my av setup, tinkering with things and the like and ive got a pretty good knowledge of signals, resoluitons etc...but i have very limited knowledge of computers, i fumble my way round my laptop and can just about do what i need to but this vga business has me stumped. is the signal from vga a progressive signal or different alltogether..? im gonna borrow my mates cable as soon as the dash update arrives so i guess it will be trial and error. as to whether the picture will be better im not sure, my tv upscales to its native res anyway which is plasma res of 1024x768. the picture on sd and hd material is amazing but if i can squeeze a bit more performance out of it all the better. i was thinking about buying a new dvd player but if the 360 is gonna be improved then ill spend that £100 on healthy pursuits like booze, drugs, gambling, etc,..:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom