What resolution for old widescreen CRT?

Shocky

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, using old 28 Sony CRT with S-Video but the 800*600 reosolution doesnt look right so what should I be using? What widescreen resolution is best in this case?

I should be able to make a custom resolution with nvidia control panel If I need too.

Sorry if this is not in the right forum, theres so many here to hard to decide where to put this.

Hmm, well it is a pal display but everything i'll playing on on it will need a 16:9 or simalar ratio, tried to force 848*480 which is kind of close but it won't save the resolution after testing, but the display can do it fine.

I'll give the suggested ones a try though and see what there like.

720x576 is a widescreen ratio, and little point sending higher than that because a CRT cannot deliver scanning resolution than that.

720x576 is a widescreen ratio, and little point sending higher than that because a CRT cannot deliver scanning resolution than that.

I understand that but it looks completely wrong on the display, huge black bar top and bottom and picture doesnt look right, but surely a 16:9 image shouldnt not have black bars on a widescreen display? or is the widescreen ratio different for CRT's?

After setting resolution you might need to adjust the overscan/position slider in driver tab. Once corrected a maximized windows should be corner to corner. Once that's done a movie should be correct ratio, if ffdshow set to keep as OAR.

After setting resolution you might need to adjust the overscan/position slider in driver tab. Once corrected a maximized windows should be corner to corner. Once that's done a movie should be correct ratio, if ffdshow set to keep as OAR.

I didn't think of adjusting the overscan/position, i'll give that a try.

Nope, none of that has helped, still huge black bars and squashed picture.

have checked the aspect ratio on the tv?

It's a standard widescreen CRT so it does display a 16:9 image, the only fix i've found so far is to force 1024*576 and then there's no black bars and video plays as you would expect but for some reason games refuse to run at this resolution and text in windows looks small/blurry due to the resolution, I'll experiment more with later.

But the standard widescreen ratios are no good, they provide a 3:2 ratio or worse, might as well justs stick to 800*600 over them.

Also updated to nvidias new official drivers and lost s-video output, had to boot in safe mode and reinstall older drivers, nice one nvidia. lol

Actually, 720x576 is a PAL resolution. It is not widescreen as such.
(A 16:9 aspect ratio would be about 960x576 with TV shaped pixels but they ain't even square!)
If a widescreen picture is sent to the TV then it is sent with the anamorphic flag set so that the TV knows to stretch the picture to fit the full width of the screen.
Widescreen movies from my PC play back fine on my 28" CRT as they are anamorphic anyway but I have yet to find a solution for making the desktop have the right aspect ratio with the TV set to widescreen. I generally ignore it or set it back to 4:3 for web browsing. It appears much clearer that way because the TV is not trying to stretch the text across the screen.
I have not found a way of telling the PC to put out and anamorpic desktop yet. (on my 7800GT)
If you find suitable settings then let us know what they are :)

Edit: I tried 1024x576 but as I'm Dualview it seems to force the picture to scroll left and right with mouse movements :(

If you find suitable settings then let us know what they are :)

Edit: I tried 1024x576 but as I'm Dualview it seems to force the picture to scroll left and right with mouse movements :(

Yeah I get that too depending on whether it's set to 50 or 60hz, I forget which one works, i've tried some lower 16:9 resolutions but it does that set both to 60 and 50hz which I really don't udnerstand. If I find one which fits perfectly and gives reasonable text i'll post back.

I think it's just a matter of trial and error, or at least I hope it is.

Damn, I thought I just had it with 852x480 but it's side scrolling just a little. lol, makes no sence to me, why does it scroll with 852x480 but not with 1024*576?

So annoying. :eek:

Ok, problem is now sorted, just had to find a fix the nvidia scrolling bug and now everything is fine, when making custom resolution set timing standard to DMT and then it shouldn't scroll.

I can live with 852x480, easy enough to read, video plays as it should and games seem to like it. :)

Guys,

Where are you finding the menus to control your Nvidia cards resolution?

I've had a long look and can't find any way of changing them apart from in "big" steps (like 800x600 to 1024x768).

Guys,

Where are you finding the menus to control your Nvidia cards resolution?

I've had a long look and can't find any way of changing them apart from in "big" steps (like 800x600 to 1024x768).

Right click on your desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel. Now select Manage Custom Resolutions.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom