1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what resolution can a dvd player provide on a pj?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fred123go, Oct 16, 2003.

1. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    Call me stupid but i am unsure about the following, my system is as below and soon i will have the PT-AE500 but will i get good pq from my 656 dvd player?what kind of resolution will i get and i should i invest in a progressive scan dvd player?
    cheers all,
    Fred

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The maximum resolution coming off a DVD is 704x576 (PAL) and 704x480 (NTSC). Regardless of whether or not it is progressive. However, such signals can be scaled up to higher resolutions. Although this does not actually add any detail, it creates the subjective effect of increased detail.

3. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for replying,
    What scaler do you suggest i invest in and do you think it is worth the extra money?
    fred

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Talk to gordon@convergent-av about such things. My 'scaler' is built in to my LCD projector.

5. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the new pioneer 868 will do the scaling 4 u

6. rnoble

rnoble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get DVD players internationally that will 'upscale' for you. I don't know whats available for you in your area.

The Momitsu DVD-V880 and Bravo D1 are examples of players that will upscale that are reasonably priced. From most accounts in forums these players work well and are favourably priced compared to the really expensive ones from Marantz, Denon. Krell etc.

I don't own either but am thinking about the Momitsu when I get a display capable of putting out some higher resolutions.

Hope this helps ( a google search on products above will give lots of info ).

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello all

rnoble:
    I'd be wary of the Bravo Di unless you have a DVI input that's set to accept video resolutions - the YUV out on the D1 is not great by all accounts.

clancol:
    As you say the DV-868AVI has 'on paper' a decent looking scaler built in - though your then limited to only your DVD signal being scaled; an external processor such as the Lumagen Vision will work for all (or most) or your video sources.

Fred:
    I'd get the projector first (along with some decent video cables) then look at a Home Evaluation on a scaler.

Best regards

Joe

8. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Joe, what are your thoughts of the iscan pro scaler or the quadscan pro?Also i know the iscan is delayed so do you know if my receiver can be delayed as well?
    Thanks a lot
    Fred

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Fred

Pretty much any 'video only' processor will add some form of picture delay and the sound and vision will then go out of sync.

If your AV Receiver doesn't have an audio delay feature you have two choices:

01. A new Receiver which does have (VSX-AX5i is one possibility as is the Denon AVR-3803)

or

02. You add an external audio delay between your source kit and your AV Receiver (a stereo audio delay will cost you £130+ and there are one or two 5:1 Digital audio delays about to be launched in the UK that will retail for around £200+).

The iScan Ultra is not a Scaler - its a deinterlacer (as are the two scalers you mention) so whilst the iScan does a great job of deinterlacing Interlaced video signals it doesn't up scale the video resolution or allow you to adjust refresh rates to optimise your video signal with your display device; I guess that's why its about 50% less expensive that either of the two scaling options.

Best regards

Joe

PS Sometimes you can get away with using the loudspeaker distance setting's to add a delay to your audio - though its tricky to do and no where near as accurate as using an external or in-built delay at the pre amp side of your Receiver.

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...............720x576 (Pal) & 720x480 (NTSC)..........

;)

11. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but if my dvd player plays 540 lines, as it does, and so does my pj then what would be the point of a scaler?wouldn't the pj have to scale it back anyway?
    cheers
    Fred

12. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    is there no dvd players that will give an audio delay

13. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Not that I know of. You can buy some real nice DD amps/receivers for under £200 that will do everything you need to do regarding delay as well as decode 5.1/6.1 DD/DTS.

I thought the Panny had a built-in scaler, if so try it first. If its crap then you can look for something else but folks here seem to be generally happy with the built-in one and I'd be surprised if you found fault with it (unless you are an experienced pj user).

In 6 months time it might be a different story but no point in spending more money on something you may or may not need and/or may or may not be suitable for you particular pj.

One step at a time is best ;)

Edit - just noticed that you previously owned a pj so you are an "experienced" pj user. Progressive Scan DVD player will provide a better picture, a scaler will provide a picture better than that. You need to research what is best for the pj and best for you - my advice sit tight and wait for others to get the same pj and benefit from their experience. There are already some good reports/information on the AVS Forums that may interest you - have a look at the under $3500 projector forums there for more info.

Here - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=316247&pagenumber=1

Paul

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    fred123go

When introducing a 'scaler' into a system its not just scaling duties that were looking at its frame rate conversion, reverse telecine and usually much finer video adjustments of colour, black level etc.

Many fixed panel projectors have pretty decent quality video processing engines built in - though I've still to see one that didn't benefit in some way from adding in something more upmarket.

Its not always the case that you want to input a signal that's an exact match for the projector's LCD panel - often a high quality 720P signal will look better when scaled down by the internal processing that an 'exact match' signal sent to the projectors processor does.

Have a look at the Lumagen web site and read the reviews - maybe they will help to give you some additional background on this subject. See http://www.lumagen.com/

Best regards

Joe

15. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why not just use an HTPC? surely that will give you the best PQ of all?

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Not necessarily. Do you think all HTPC's are equal? Do you think that video output cards in PC's are all the same quality? What sort of de-interlacing solution is an HTPC to use, flag reading or perhaps a chip like dcdi faroudja in Holocard, as they are not the same quality. Let's not even start on functionality or audio performance.....

There are a multitude of things that affect end picture quality. PC's have their place as do external video processors.

Scalers vary in quality too. It's just that even PC's with the same components in them may not necessarily have the same performance.

Folk should view and make up their own minds.

Gordon

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello mince bigalow

I'm guessing if your a PC technician then a HTPC will give you the best picture YOUR HTPC can deliver :)

Is it better than everything else? I doubt it! (and its still a PC)

Best regards

Joe

PS Why do we never hear about HT'MAC'? - after all shed loads of TV and Corporate productions are on and off lined on MACS and my experience is that for video work they are much more stable than a PC (having owned an AVID Media Composer 9000 before anyone asks :))