What reputation....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mr Kardon, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Mr Kardon

Mr Kardon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do Sherwood dvd players have???:smoke:

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    May be a good budget name but with the prices that you can get regular named products these days it'd be hard to justify buying a Sherwood imo:)
    But if the product gives suitable quality for the money then hay who's to judge. Best to compare with other products at various price points to establish which player does the job you want for the money your prepared to pay.
    If you have a budget in mind then we may be able to give you a few pointers:D

3. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    It won't be "made" by Sherwood anyway - probably Far Eastern OEM job.

4. Mr Kardon

Mr Kardon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the thing is over here in Israel good or respectable dvd players cost alot.So my budget this time around is pretty low around $300 ,which in shekels is about 1,250 and for that you are looking for entry level dvd players e.g Pioneer dv-355/360,Toshiba's entry level models.In the past I've had pretty decent players such as the Onkyo Dv-757 ,Pioneer Dv-656.Now Pioneer I don't like at all.Toshiba are pretty good ,I have one of there older models SD-2109mz but it doesn't read RCE region 1 discs although there is a remote hack but that takes me straight into the film meaning that I'm unable to access the special features menu .So I was looking for something else and came across a few Sherwood models in the local "Best Buy "shop.They all could read RCE discs and had Component video outputs and the build seemed solid and the disc tray is relatively quite and well built. So I used "Underworld" which is an RCE region 1 as the demo disc and watched it with the salesman for about 15 mins and was impressed by what I heard and saw.It was hooked up to a Yamaha RX-v640 receiver {mine is the 630 model} and as I say I was impressed .So I told the guy I would think about it knowing I would first come here on this forum and see what info I could get regarding Sherwood dvd players {reliability etc}So hence this very long winded post.S any input would be much appreciated .Thanks in advance.

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I wouldn't worry about reliability. Most of the budget end players either japanese brands or any other are made in china. Most of the time these are made in chinese owned factories although some japanese brands have their own factories. Some of the best chinese made products come out of Korean owned plants in china which are run by Samsung and LG. DVD players nowadays aren't quite as well made as a couple of years ago when japanese brands were making players in japan but nowadays the technology has improved and runs cooler and requires less power. Also its my personal opinion that chinese designed dvd loader mechanisms are better than those designed by most japanese companies. They tend to read more media and seem less problematic.

If the product looks reasonably well made, performs well and the price is right I would go for it.

6. Mr Kardon

Mr Kardon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for all your help ,I will be going to Best Buy and will purchase the Sherwood and I will let you know after a good run in ,my thoughts on this player.:smoke: