Novice Member
I have got the following:

LG 50PX4D
Sky HD
PS3
XBox 360
Thor HDC100 HDMI switch
Sony DAV-DZ-830W

Am looking for something which will control them all and also allow me to press one button to watch a Blu Ray movie for exmaple which would require turning on TV, set to HDMI, turn on Sony All in One, set to optical sound, change sound mode to Movie, change HDMI switch to port three, turn on PS3 etc - is that all possible? Over and above that just something to replace the sprawl of remotes I have in my lounge!

I have looked at the Harmony range but Im struggling to see what they difference in most of them is - is there a meaningful comparison chart available as looking at the Logitech website the difference between the 525 and 885, for example, is the 885 is rechargeable and has a colour screen yet is three times the price? If they all do the same core things whats the difference in the more expensive ones?

Im looking to spend around about £60 ideally but might go a little higher if there is a compelling reason why I should!

Many thanks

Jase

saintalan

IMHO for just under £60 the 555 & just over the 785.

Go and touch/feel them, it's not just about the software.

logiciel

....allow me to press one button to.... - is that all possible?
If they all do the same core things whats the difference in the more expensive ones?
Not only possible; it's exactly what Harmonys are meant to do; and actually do, better than any alternatives.
They DO all the same essentials, with the additions you've noticed, and in their construction.

e46_m3

Novice Member
Thanks chaps - any idea of any national retailers or stores in the East Mids who stock the Harmony range? Have looked at all the usual suspects and am struggling to get to see and hold one before I buy

saintalan

Thanks chaps - any idea of any national retailers or stores in the East Mids who stock the Harmony range? Have looked at all the usual suspects and am struggling to get to see and hold one before I buy

My local Comet has a small Logi display with a 'pick-up-able' 555 & 785

derek1971

turn on PS3
Just for the record none of the harmony range will turn on or control the ps3 directly. It uses bluetooth not IR/RF. You can get a device to convert IR to bluetooth but you would need to use something like that as well as the harmony remote. I think i am right in saying there are no universal remotes available at the moment which will work the ps3 without such a device.

All that said, i have just got a harmony 885 and it is one of the best bits of kit i have seen in a long while. It is my first universal remote so i don't really have anything to compare it with but imo it is fantastic.

I am using it to control my Sagem HD-D50 G4, Onkyo 606, Sky HD box, Xbox 360, my Klipsch iGroove ipod dock and even my Quad Subwoofer.

All of those were in the harmony online database. With very limited tweaking of their defaults i have got it working exactly how i want it.

Although it can't power on the PS3 or Wii i also have set up activities on it called "Play PS3" and "Play Wii" - they turn on everything else and put it all to the right inputs etc and since i need the relevant controller to play anyway it is no biggie for me to have to use the controller to turn on the console.

In addition i didn't realise when i ordered it just how customiseable it was. In my "Watch Sky" activity thanks to the other stuff i have read on here i have managed to set up single button presses for entering my pin number, going into Sky Anytime, going into the Planner of recorded progs etc and have set up my 16 favourite channels complete with channel logos!

Sure it takes a bit of setting up but all of the above took me no more than 3 hours including tweaking and testing.

I only got the remote 2 days ago and already wonder how i managed without it:rotfl:

So as you can probably tell i am a convert to harmony!

The main reason i bought it was that my wife was getting increasingly annoyed at the ever growing number of remotes appearing in the house and this has replaced them all giving me major brownie points! That imo is worth the price of whichever one you decide to go for.

FWIW i went for the 885 having looked at various mainly because it allowed me to have 8 activites displayed on the screen which covers most of the things i (and more importantly from the point of view of it being accepted) and my wife use it for.

It has coloured buttons on the remote and not as soft key options on the screen.

And i just preferred the look and feel of it over others in the range.

Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom