Quantcast

What remote (with hard buttons) meets my needs

T

The Robman

Have you looked at the US models of One For All remotes? As they're not loaded with UK codes, you would need to use JP1 to program them. However, I've just checked the JP1 file section and we have an upgrade for the 500 series Meridian, an Arcam DV88 DVD player and the Sky Digibox, so I could pre-program these codes into one of these remotes for you.

The only US remotes with coloured buttons is the URC-6131, but the PAUSE button doubles as the YELLOW button, which may or may not work for you. I would recommend a learning remote, such as the URC-8811, which if used with a JP1 cable, would allow you to program any devices you might buy in the future.

To give you an idea of pricing, I could send a URC-8811 to you for $24 shipped, a URC-6131 would be $32 shipped. A JP1 cable would be $15 extra.

Art Vanderlay

Novice Member
If you know anyone who is off to the US anytime soon then the Home Theater Master remotes are much cheaper over there

I picked up an MX-700 (without side kick) in New York for $190 - just over half what it would be over here

It does everything you require. The only disadvantage is no coloured buttons for RGYB or record - I have just programmed these on to the LCD labelled buttons.

fraggle

Originally posted by ani4ani
I wanted buttons...

this looks the business and does the business...

http://products.sony.co.uk/productdetail.asp?id=14_3_267

£80 or so
Anyone got one of these?

I have a Pronto but to be honest, trying to squeeze all the buttons you want onto one screen for each piece of equipment (I've been playing trying different layouts for over a year) vs. the need to have large buttons that are easy to press (for those of us who don't have pencils for fingers :) ) is virtually impossible.

(WAF means multiple screens per device are not really a good solution)

I'd love one of the Prontos that has the transport & 4 way cursor pad hard keys on it - but this one looks really slim & light - is it?

ani4ani

Hi there,

I do have one of these and it is not perfect, however,

Really slim and sexy, one of the best looking by far imo.

Not very light, but lighter than a pronto me hazards to guess and by no means uncomfortable

You can teach everything very quickly, just a couple of presses and its done.

Doesn't have every button that you might need, i.e. Sky+ on mine is across two devices, i.e. up and down, left and right on one device, then on the next device this becomes pause, play, FF and FR.

You get 8 devices to use, comes as default as you would imagine with Sony for everything, which when I bought it was fine as most of my stuff was Sony.

You only get 7 characters to name your device, which for me, is TV, DVD, SKY+ 1, SKY+ 2, AMP, PROJCTR, CDPLAY, MISC [which is lights, PC etc]

No macros, but I wasn't after them.

all in all, after messing about with the touch screen devices I was happy to get back to buttons that you learn to use in the dark by feel [which is the way I like em].

unbeatable have them for £72 at the mo

thx

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_2541.html

fraggle

Hi there,

I do have one of these and it is not perfect, however,

<snip>

Doesn't have every button that you might need, i.e. Sky+ on mine is across two devices, i.e. up and down, left and right on one device, then on the next device this becomes pause, play, FF and FR.
Looking at the pictures there's the play, ffwd, rwd, stop buttons, and inside them another lot of what seem to be buttons, up/down/left/right. Are these buttons of just symbols associated with the transport buttons?

The only thing I couldn't see buttons to use as, were the input buttons on the amp - TV, DVD, MD, Sat, etc. Suppose I could use the 1, 2, 3, 4, etc as these as the amp doesn't have number buttons. (well, not for everyday use it doesn't)

Can you re-program the jog-shuttle dial to something? Perhaps press a 'shift' button and then twiddle the jog-shuttle wheel?

ani4ani

Hi the symbols are as you describe and so on Sky I use the symbols across two devices,

You select your device with the jog-shuttle, i.e. it rotates. There is also a press with it that can be programmed etc.

You can also program the sequence of devices etc.

When I am in the "AMP" I use the program up/down to select my device

fraggle

Hi the symbols are as you describe and so on Sky I use the symbols across two devices,

You select your device with the jog-shuttle, i.e. it rotates. There is also a press with it that can be programmed etc.

You can also program the sequence of devices etc.

When I am in the "AMP" I use the program up/down to select my device
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.

Are there two "rings" of buttons? One inside the other?

I'm guessing not as you had to program two devices with what two rings of buttons could do! :suicide:

The programmable click on the jog shuttle, does that just have one thing it can do, or does it have a different function for each device?

Hmm, I'll ave a gander at the Sony site, see if I can find a manual :D

I don't know if the Tag AV32R has a remote code to do up/down on input source select. I knowe on the front of the unit it has one button to cycle around the digital inputs and another to do the same for the analogue inputs. Also a button to cycle round the video inputs. Again I dunno if there are remote codes to duplicate these.

ani4ani

This actually looks quite the business. Most of the "worked" buttons are "hard." I like the fact it does RF & Infrared - would solve a problem that I have at the moment.

Might just purchase one to try..after good value at that price.

Anyone used one of these?

ntslik

Novice Member
Have you seen the Marantz RC1400, well worth checking out, has all the features you are looking for.

buns

Banned
is that equivalently the pronto neo? I heard there were issues still.....

ad

buns

Banned
oh those are seriously good looking,..... in my boredom tomorrow i will seek a port of purchase.....

ad

I

Ishlin

Well, if you find a place to buy one, let me know, so I can get one too!
Unfortunately, the official European distributor of the HTM brand won't be carrying these models according to someone in the know at the remotecentral forums, so I think you'd have to find a store in the US... and of course American electronics stores usually don't ship internationally.

buns

Banned
I saw a marantx rc1200 on ebay and it actually looked close to what i want..... missed the final bif by about 3 seconds :(

ad

cowtipper

Standard Member
I was in the same position as you i bought a pronto and could not get on with it having no hard buttons i like to feel the press of the button
i bought the marantz rc1400 and i have to say it is the 4th remote control i have owned and it is the the best out of them all it does everything i have ever needed it to do.
it rates high in the waf even she can use it :)

This is where i got mine from for £50

http://www.netelectronics.co.uk/marantz_controlunits.htm

fraggle

Got a manual for the URC200 if anyone wants it, its about 300k though, too big to attach in here.

Trending threads

Latest News

Huawei launches Vision X65 OLED TV in China
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Virgin Media adds more free Sky channels
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ reaches 50 million subscribers globally
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung to end Smart View app support on older TVs