1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What remote to go for?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Olympichero, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Olympichero

Olympichero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking around for a remote for a while now but I still havent come any closer to making a decision on which one to get. I like the look of the Kameleon but I think the preferred remote is the Harmony from Logitech? Though Im not just limited to these remotes.

Basically, Im quite a noob when it comes to this and I just want a remote that is easy to use/configure and quite cheap (<£120). An LCD display would be preferred but its not essential.

I need the remote to control:
    Plasma
    Amp
    Sky +
    DVD
    VCR

Thanks for your help.

2. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I looked into the remote situation and went for the Harmony 655. I programed it today for :_

panasonic PWD6 plasma
    Sky Digital
    Yamaha 750 AMP
    Pioneer 575a DVD
    Sony VCR

Just did the WIfe test, and hey it all works!!!

press watch TV and all the required bits switch on and to the required settings etc. Sky works for channels etc.
    then press Watch DVD and the DVD comes on and everything switches to the correct settings again!!

Press Off and everything goes off!!

So it does what it says on the tin!!

Took about a hour to setup.

I am a happy bunny, and at £74.95 I consider it money well spent.

The harmomy will do what you need, and the price seems to be coming down.

Worth serious consideration IMOA

Cheers

Chris

3. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I was using a second generation Kameleon 6 up until recently and was, on the whole, very happy with its performance. The wife, on the other hand, was less impressed with it due to the fact that she had to look at the remote before she pressed a button - a problem with all touchscreen remote controls. I spent a few weeks researching the other remotes in the sub-£100 price range and reduced the contenders to two - the 'Harmony H655', which you have already mentioned, and the 'Universal Remote Control URC-200 Automator', an extensive review of which can be found here. Based on a number of factors - button layout, LCD screen size, favourite channel function, method of programming and price (when I made my decision the H655 was still £99, whereas the URC-200 was £90) - I finally decided to purchase the URC-200 and spent a few hours last Friday setting it up for my TV, Digibox, VCR, DVD and AV Receiver. I've been extremely pleased with my purchase and would recommend that anyone considering purchasing a Harmony should consider it as a viable alternative. It has very powerful macro abilities, allowing it to reproduce the 'activity' function of the Harmony.

All the posts in this forum from people having problems setting up their Harmony remotes was something that also helped me make my final decision.

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I got the Sony AV3000 imported from the states via ebay for £65
    It works really well.

5. capt_janeway

capt_janeway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Why is it that you think you've got it in your mind what you want - people make you think again...........

I am also looking for a remote circa £120.... in line so far are
    • Harmony 655
    • Pronto 940 via fleabay
    • Theater Master MX500
    • Theater Master URC300

Probably gone off the Pronto but still not made up my mind.....anybody willing to try and push me one way or the other on my choices?
    :suicide:

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    for a mega cool make your mates drool remote...Pronto.............
    for an easy to program lots of options....MX500 URC-300
    For a pick-up (anyone inc the kids) and go anyone can use remote H655 or H688

7. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I also looked at the MX-500 and the URC-300 but decided against both of them for a number of reasons:
    • MX-500 - The DVD/VCR transport buttons doubled up with the menu/guide/exit/info buttons.
    • URC-300 - I didn't need a touchscreen and it doesn't offer any different fuctions to the URC-200, just more of the same (i.e. more devices - 15 as opposed to 10, more macros) plus it is £25 more expensive.
    Can't comment on the Pronto - never used one - but, personally, I don't want an expensive touchscreen remote. Harmony definitely looks good though.

8. dubledene

dubledene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone got a pic of the harmony 655???

9. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Loks like it's loosely based on the Sky + remote which is handy

Attached Files:

10. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    Just bought the one-for-all Mosaic. Can handle up to 15 devices and is bulky but also goo to hold.

Plus side: got it for £39.99 from richer sounds

negatives: you can only program 60 extra buttons in total. As there is as yet, no code for either my freeview box or my projector, These had to be completely programmed from scratch (taking up 16 and 26 buttons respectively), which doesn't leave me enough for my vcr (my cd player, dvd system are also programmed, and I used up a few spaces for some extra buttons on those).
    It would be nicer with more prgrammable button ability or the codes for my projector/digibox, available from the web....which they're not.
    I also couldn't get hold of a charging cradle.

It is worth £40, but definoitely not the £300 retail price.

11. Olympichero

Olympichero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone, I decided to go for the Harmony. Although the others look nicer its probably the best option in terms of easiness to use and program.

Thanks for your help, I should be back in a week asking for more on how to get it to work :).