Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What refresh rate?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by John Langton, Apr 15, 2005.

1. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my pc linked to my plasma downstairs. What refresh rate should I set the graphics card at. It allows 60, 70, 75 and 100. Am I right in thinking the higher the refresh rate the less flicker? But does it cause problems/reduce life of plasma if set on a high refresh rate?

John

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    No. This only applies to CRT monitors, not to plasma, LCD, DLP, DILA, or SED displays. (Or indeed anything else much).

Unlikely, but it might make the picture look worse. :) Set it to 60Hz and you should be fine.

3. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Bit confused now as I understand how a CRT works and the refresh rate but I thought plasmas had a refresh rate aswell

John

4. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    They do, but I guess due to the lower response times on PDPs and LCDs it's not really an issue.

5. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok cheers

John

6. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    This is fine for NTSC material, but if you are viewing PAL TV or DVDs you will get less motion judder at 75Hz. (3x PALs 25Hz refresh)

This also depends what your plasma does once it receives the siganl, many actually do a frame rate convert to 60Hz in which case setting anything else will not improve things.

I chose my Pioneer 50MXE1 specificaly because it will do 50Hz refresh via DVI @ NR.

7. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to make it clear im talking about the channel that has my pc input. I have it set up correctly on the satalite and dvd player channel was just wondering about the PC.

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    He said at the beginning that it was connected to a PC - I assumed that meant for general PC use, not HTPC. However, if you wish to use the PC as a DVD player and/or a video scaler then yes, 50Hz (if supported) or 75Hz otherwise will probably be better for playing PAL DVDs or scaling a PAL source. 60Hz is still preferable for NTSC.

9. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Are you using the PC as just a PC, games and web surfing etc?

I was assuming you were talking about a HTPC, if not forget my comments about PAL and NTSC material and go with 60Hz it seems to be most plasmas natural refresh rate.

Sorry for the confusion

10. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries. Yeah its just a basic pc not even used for gaming. I just got a spare one connected to it so I can work sometimes. Excuse my poor lack of knowledge but what is a HTPC?

John

11. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
  12. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    HTPC - Home Theater Personal Computer

You use your PC to playback DVDs, Videos and TV.
    I am using Windows Media Center as a frontend, conecting the PC via DVI into my plasma gives me a complete digital path from DVD or Digital TV.

Also I am using the PC as a scaler to 1280x768 to match my plasma.

13. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yes Ive heard. And what kind of quality are you getting picture wise? Is it in the same league as a dedicated dvd player with component/HDMI/DVI?

And the scaler. Why do you upscale it to the native resolution of the plasma? Just for better PQ?

Cheers

John

14. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    It's typically much better.

15. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a much better picture than on say for example a Denon DVD player? I am learning something new here and if this is the case then I am due to buy a new laptop so this could save me buying a DVD player. I was intending to buy a Denon 3910 but surely the picture coming from your HTPC laptop cannot be better than this?

John

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    there is a huge thread, using a PC as a scaler a PC is cheaper than a good DVD player and scaler but is alot more hassle too if you enjoy messing with a PC try it out £400 buys you a PC capable of the basics, but laptops are not ideal really tou want a DVi_D output that you can customise for the Plasma, laptops are all about low power consumption and transportability instead of £1400 on alaptop spend £900 on laptop and £500 building an HTPC: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180367

17. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Horny dragon, point taken. However it will prob be a powerful desktop replacement and it doesnt have to be that portable as my job doesnt need it to be. So even in the house it would just be plugged in. Just didnt realise you could get just as good PQ from a laptop than a DVD player. Is this because of the PC resolution that it gives a good picture?

John

18. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Standard Definition PAL video is 720x576 pixels so to dispaly it on a plasma it has to be upscaled somewhere, usally in the plasma. But you can often get better results if you do this in the PC either in software like FFDShow or in the graphics card.
    Therefore I scale to 1280x768 to stop the plasma scaling.

When I compare my Pioneer 868 via component (my plasma is not HDCP compatible so no HDMI) to my HTPC via DVI the HTPC wins by quite a margin. The picture is cleaner, more detailed with fewer artifacts.

The down side is it is much more difficult to get everything working correctly and even when you succeed there is no garantee it will continue to work flawlessly, after all it is still a computer.

If you want an easy life stick to standard AV components, if you like fiddeling with computers and are prepared to put up with the extra hassel then HTPC gives really great results.

19. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :suicide: just when I thought I was getting somewhere a spanner has been thrown in the works :) I dont mind tinkering around with computers in fact I built my own one upstairs to play games on. Now I dont know what to do :confused:

Thanks for all the help tho and that last post made it all clearer to me

John

20. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Go for an HTPC with XPMCE, it's the dogs :smashin:

21. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    John, you already have a PC connected to your plasma why not download demos of either the nVidia DVD codec, WinDVD 6 or DScaler 5 codec (these are the best) and see what it looks like playing DVD from the PC.

Zoom player is a good player for trying out codecs in and it also supports FFDShow

22. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Here's a decent guide to get you going with HTPC it's a bit old and out of date but if you substitute one of the codecs above for the Sonic ones you can try it out without it costing you anything except time.

http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1

There are many more ways of doing HTPC I just thought this was a cheap easy way of finding out what sort of picture quality you can acheive quickly.

If you are encouraged by this then you can explore further with fancy frontends, HQ graphics cards, etc etc.

23. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    I've never heard of anybody using a laptop for an HTPC, but I suppose it may be possible. It's not processing power that's the issue, it's whether there's a decent laptop-based video capture device, whether laptop-intended graphics chips can do as good a job of scaling video to an arbitrary screen resolution as a desktop graphics card can, and whether you can get good quality 7.1 sound and/or a digital audio stream out of a laptop.

24. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crow Ive been using PowerDVD to play DVDs is this not any good compared to the others?

John

25. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    On my setup I found the other 3 gave better results when displayed on a large screen. You may not notice the difference on a typical PC monitor.

DScaler 5 is free and the other two have demo versions available so why not try them for yourself and see which you prefer.

P.S. DScaler and nVidia are codecs only so they need to be used with WMP or Zoom Player etc.

P.P.S I would recommend backing up your system with something like Ghost before you start installing various codecs just to be on the safe side.

N.B. there is another section of this forum dedicated to HTPC and computers
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

26. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crow im not running it through a monitor Im running it through my 50" plasma will try em out thanks for your help mate

John

27. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crow you say you used your PC to upscale to your native res so Ive found mine so should I set my pc resolution to 1366x768 to match the plasma? Also is there anyway of knowing if my plasma is still upscaling or downscaling images? Im guessing not. Heres a bit of info that may help also http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1608657#post1608657 (pics 4th post down)

Thanks for help in helping me understand

John

28. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Where does the digital TV come from ? A card inside the PC ?

29. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    John, I'm not being rude, but why are you so concerned with upscaling ?

I'm not sure that the average PC can do this job any better than the TV itself, if it is a quality make. Since the majority of TV and DVD pictures are not in this format, you will always have some upscaling going on somewwhere.

30. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think hes got his sky/digital tv hooked up to his HTPC. Im probably wrong tho

John