1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What recording quality do you use on your HS2?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by B0zza, Nov 25, 2003.

1. B0zza

B0zza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had my HS2 for about a week now and am delighted with the machine. It's a dream in every way.

I've left the machine in SP mode and recorded everything on that. Yesterday some DVD-Rs turned up (finally!), so I cut a film (Top Secret!) to DVD, again using SP mode.

What mode do other HS2 owners tend to use?

And can you really notice much difference with the eye between XP and SP? And what about SP and the lower quality (not sure if that is LP or EP off hand) ?

Cheers,

Darren

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Most people will record using XP or SP to the hard disc, and then use FR to dub to dvd-r. FR allows you to fill a dvd-r for any length of program to ensure you get the maximum quality. For example, recording a 1.5hr program on SP wastes a half hour of the disc, where as FR would maximise the bitrate to fill the disc. Similarly, you'll get better quality using FR to record a program less of 3hrs than dropping to LP.

Personally, I don't see all that much difference between XP and SP, but if you've got the disk space, you'd be better off using the best quality possible, especially if you intend to later archive the program to dvd-r.

I don't have the luxury of a 40GB hard drive (I have an E50) so I tend to use LP to fit 4hrs on 1 dvd-ram. I find this setting adequate for casual recording and timeshifting, but wouldn't consider it for archiving. I've tested EP mode, but I'd only ever use it in desperate situtations.

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    SP for everything I am going to watch and delete, and for films to keep which are more than 2 hours in length once the ads are removed.
    XP for all programs under 2 hours which I intend to archive using FR to the media.
    I have never used LP or EP in the year I have owned the machine, but have never run out of HDD space. despite daily use of upt to several hours a day as I timeshift virtually everything I want to watch.

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use XP for everything.I see no point in watching lower quality when I don't have to.And its a must if you intend to transfer to DVD-R.I suppose ,as I also have Sky+,the 9 hours of XP could be limiting,but unless you fill it fast,go XP

5. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Panasonic e60 and there is a noticable drop in quality in anything other than XP or SP mode.

Regards

Dude

6. B0zza

B0zza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So you guys reckon the way forward for stuff I want to cut to DVD-R and keep is:

to HDD in XP, and then
    to DVD-R in FR?

I'm not sure I see the point in going to HDD in SP (if the film/whatever is less than 2 hours anyway) and then to DVD-R in FR. Eg Top Secret was about 85 minutes long - I'd gone to HDD in SP - I don't see what I'd gain in going to DVD-R in FR, but I can appreciate the way to go would have been XP to HDD and then FR to DVD-R.

Darren

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always record in XP. I transferred the Rugby Cup Final to two DVD-R disks at FR and the time on each was about 90 minutes. When I came to play them back the PQ was terrible, quite the worst I'd seen.

I binned those and did the following on the second half and extra time: Recorded the entire second half on the DVD-R at XP and then used SP for the two periods of extra time.

This produced far better quality than using FR throughout!

Dave

8. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FR on a 90 minute recording should be excellent,its almost XP.Unless you are likely to keep recordings and fill up the HDD,make all the recordings XP