What recorder to buy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mallrat, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Mallrat

Mallrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night I was sat with my parents trying to watch a program that my dad had taped on video, but the video player had messed up the sound on the tape and it kept dying off then coming loud again. After about 15 minutes I was amazed to hear my mum say, "This is stupid, you need to get rid of the video player and get one of those DVD recorders."

This is the first time that she actually wants my dad to buy a new tech toy, so now it's down to me to find a decent DVD recorder. Thing is, I haven't really looked at them before and don't really know what to look for, so any help is appreciated.

I think my dad will be willing to spend about £150-200 on this so can anyone recommend the best for the money. Also, is it worth going for one like the Samsung R125 that has 720p/1080i up-conversion (if I manage to pursuade them to get a HDTV) and is it worth going for one with a HDD?

Cheers for any help.

2. Mallrat

Mallrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

3. Steve_Tech

Steve_Tech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are mostly time shifting you need a hdd.
    DVD best for archiving.
    Do you need freeview. Freeview DVR come with useful 7 day guide
    for easy programming by parents.
    Other future proofing is down to your budget, so you will have to decide priorities carefully.

4. Mallrat

Mallrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's probably just going to be used by the parents to record TV shows. Freeview isn't a must as most TV that is watched is SKY and there most likely wont be much time-shifting done.