What recordable drive should I get for my PC?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dude1971, Aug 30, 2004.

1. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening all

I've just purchased a new PC and it came with the standard cd-rw and dvd drives. I'd like to get a drive that writes -r and RAM but all I can find are combos with cd-rw which I don't need. Are there RAM/dvd -r combo drives available?

Regards

The Dude

:confused:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    Virtually all DVD burners write to CD-R/-RW these days in addition to DVDR. That said your best bet is to remove the CDR (assuming you only want two optical drives) from your new PC and keep the DVD-ROM. Some software (some games for example) is protected and will not run on PC optical media burners. Hence having a DVD-ROM and multi burner is an excellent all-round option.

Have a look at post #2 in the 'PC GUIDE: DVD-RAM (inc DVD-RW VR Mode) To DVD-R' sticky thread at the top of this forum. It gives advice on a few DVD burners to look at. A good all-round option at present is the LG 4120B which burns everything currently available (DVD-RAM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW and CD-R/RW).

3. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak, you've come to my rescue once again!

:clap: