1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What receiver & what speakers please for newby

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ladypickers, Feb 13, 2005.

1. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After advice from AV forum & HD went TCR this morning to see my mate who normally sorts me out with everything. This is what he advised

Pioneer PDP 435XDE (which we really liked over the Panny)

He said that the Pioneer DVR-920H was good but too overpriced just to get HDMI feature, (please some one tell me what differnece this feature) makes and suggested getting Pioneer DVR-720H-S & spend the money on better component cabling. He said to go for Pioneer VSX-D814-S receiver or if still available the Pioneer VSXD-912 which although older is better spec than the 814.

I am getting mixed reports regarding loss of quality using a DVD recorder for playback. The general concensus is to have a stand alone DVD player as well. I still have my old Pioneer DV530 would that be good enough or do I really need another one like the DV-470-S or does it need to be better

Than as far as speakers are concerned because I want small speakersand having been put off the Bose, he suggested going for the Pioneer S-VLF5 or S-VLF3. But having spoeken to someone else they suggested the Infinity Oreus. I didnt get a chance to listen to them but they said they didnt rate the Bose and that these were much better if I was looking for small speakers. As the subwoofer has has a 100 watt amp would I still need the receiver.

I'll still be running Sky as well.

Any more advice greatly appreciated.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    for any surround sound system you will need a reviever/processor for stereo only you can use panel with Pioneer optional speakers...

3. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Infinity Oreus is popular and sounds very nice..

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I wouldn't think the 814 is worse speck than the 814, better looking yes, worse speck no.

The Yamaha rxv 650
    http://www.hiwayhifi.com/site/product.asp?section=&1&Cat=39&Sub=237&Prod=22328
    Denon 1705
    http://www.tottenhamcourtroaddirect.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=181
    Denon 1905
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/1962
    What home cinema rated the 1705 over the rxv650 and the Pioneer 814.

The Canton cd1 are also worth looking into
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=8052&source=PriceRunner

5. ladypickers

ladypickers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't think the 814 is worse speck than the 814, better looking yes, worse speck no.

Sorry which do you mean u put the same model number twice

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Sorry blonde moment there :eek: the 814 wont be a worse speck then the 912. The 814 also has dolby PL2x over the 912 otherwise is the same speck.

7. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony DB790 (6.1) or DB795 (7.1) are also great amps on this pricerange. We (in Finland) order these from Germany, because they have got Pan-European guarantee.

These Sonys are cheaper than the 814, and also bit more powerful and "heavier". They are big though.. All from the same brand -thinking is healthy, and aesthetically you can't beat it. But remember that speakers are a different world, and Pioneer, Pana or Sony don't really excel there. :rolleyes: