What Receiver to choose

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kageyu, Aug 17, 2013.

1. kageyu

kageyu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I need help finding a receiver to pair with my infinity speakers p363s, p153s, pc351 (might also pick up a rear center).

I was looking at the Onkyo TX-NR818 mainly because of the room correction. I was also looking at the Denon 3312/3313. I guess I would like opinions on if the extra money is worth it for the 818. I've read that Onkyo has had quality issues in the past so do I go for the Denon with the older room corrections or go for the Onkyo? I would also consider Yamaha. I have a Yamaha right now and have been quite happy with it, but it is an older model. However, the Yamaha seem to have the worst room correction out of the three from what I have been reading.

I am replacing Klipsch Synergy Quintet III speakers that are attached to an older yamaha (htr-5940).

It looks like I may have missed some good deals on the Onkyo in the last few months. Right now I don't see it going for lower than 800.

Thanks,
    Phil

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Onkyo has a lot different sound to your current Yamaha which you may or may not prefer. Hence if you want to go for the Onkyo try to listen to it first. Room correction can help if you have room issues but if you do not then it will do little for you. So it could be a useful feature but it could also give you nothing. The 818 was selling for a fair bit less a month or so ago but suspect they have gone up a bit as stocks have become low. The 3313 is also an older model so will be getting harder to find. So what ever you decide you probably need to act fairly quickly as stocks will be low.

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,869
    I've both a Yamaha RXV2065 and a Denon AVR3313 and I'd gladly go back to another Yamaha receiver even if I had to forego Audyssey room correction. The Yamaha simply sounds better despite the lack of Audyssey room correction. I also consider the build quality of my RXV2065 superior to that of the Denon. If you lke the sound of your current Yamaha then you may find the sound of the AVR3313 a little unexciting and somewhat flat?

I'd probably suggest you stump up the extra cash and look at purchasing a Yamaha RXA2020 rather than either the Denon AVR3313 or an Onkyo TXNR818?

4. kageyu

kageyu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, the RXA2020 is a lot of reciever. What do you think about the A820/A830?

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,869
    I'd tend to skip the A8xx models and go with the A10xx models if on a budget. The entry level Adventage models do offer some advantages over the RXV7xx models, but not enough to justify the price difference.

Where are you located?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  6. kageyu

kageyu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    South NJ, near the WW bridge.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,869
    I only ask because this forum's membership is mainly made up of residents of the UK so this would mean that prices are of little relevance. Some products that are heavily discounted where you are aren't necessarily as cheap here and visa versa. ;)

8. kageyu

kageyu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did not realize that. I appreciate the advice. I guess I'll shop around and see if I can get a good deal on the A10XX series reciever. I know I like the sound of Yamahas.

9. kageyu

kageyu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up a Yamaha rx-a-1030 off of Newegg. I was hoping to get a little better price, but they did have a deal where one could get a Polk 12'' sub for free. I couldn't pass it up. I currently have a Klipsch 10'' sub. I'm guessing I can run both now for a 7.2 setup.

Newegg also had an open box rx-a2020 for almost half price. It was tempting, but I was nervous about picking up an open box item.