Question What receiver or pre-amp options for 3 zone house

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Joe D, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Joe D

Joe D
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My media room has three different zone speakers that are wired to it:
    back patio - zone 3: 2 speakers
    kitchen/living room - zone 2 : 2 speakers
    media room - zone 1: 5.1 speaker system

Zone 2&3 will only play same source - they are right next to each other, but I would need separate volume control on each of them. I can't seem to find an AV receiver that will support internet streaming on zone 2+3 as one source while still allowing second source or video source to zone 1.

Need some AV expert opinion on how to get amplified internet source to 4 speakers (volume control separate on two vs two) while allowing separate 5.1 video source in main zone. Trying to not get carried away on costs either.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    Any current 9 channel AV receiver should be able to fascilitate what you want. Most receivers now fascilitate internet radio in a second zone and all receivers with additional zone capabilities allow the second and or third zones to be run independently of the main zone.

The fact you need a 9 channel receiver automatically means you will have to spend some money on this. Maybe look at one of last years models as opposed to the new 2015 models that are now starting to appear. This will save you some money.

The Marantz SR7009 should be able to provide you with what you want? Its amp assignments allow you to assign 5 channels of onboard amplification to the main room, 2 channels to zone 2 and 2 channels to zone 3. It can also play Internet and network sourced audio independently in the second and third zones.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  3. Joe D

Joe D
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks dante01. Checked out the SR7009, it has what I need for the multi-room, multi-source. The older SR7008 also has everything I need too just without 4K upscaling nor built in WIFI/Bluetooth. I have a 1080p projector so upscaling doesn't buy me anything and I have ethernet cable at the AV receiver, so don't need wifi or bluetooth. I think I will go with SR7008 to save some cost. If I upgrade to a 4K projector in the future (distant with today's prices), I would hope it can do upscaling so I don't need to worry about missing out on 4K upscaling with my AV receiver.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,224
    The issue in relation to the SR7008 and SR7009 with 4K would ne more to do with them not being compliant with HDCP 2.2 and not having an HDMI version 2.0a interface. Ypu'd need the SR710 if wanting these capabilities. These will be required if ever wanting to passthrough native UHD encoded content from a 4K UHD Blu-ray player. The SR7009 includes Atmos and has a paid update option for Auro 3D too, but I guess these formats wouldn't really be viable to you given you use of 4 channels for the other 2 zones?

5. Joe D

Joe D
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Atmos isn't an option with my setup and the other zones. I'm gonna wait on HDCP, just bought new 1080p Epson projector. 8K will be out by the time I am ready for 4K projector and HDCP encoded content.
    Anyone ever buy reburbished AVs from accessories4less?