What receiver can I buy to use with HTP-338 speaker system?

spiderman01

Hi guys,

Ii have been told that the vast majority of AV receivers will not work with my speaker system because my subwoofer is passive. To be honest, I am a bit lost. I need a AV receiver that will work with this speaker system: HTP-338. I do not want to buy another set of speakers so ... Thanks in advance.

Specifications
■ Passive Subwoofer (SKW-338): Type Bass-reflex type Passive subwoofer Impedance 6 Ω Maximum output power 130 W Sensitivity 82 dB/W/m Frequency response 30 Hz to 150 Hz.
■ Front Speakers (SKF-338): Type Full Range Bass-reflex Impedance 6 Ω Maximum input power 120 W Sensitivity 82 dB/W/m Frequency response 80 Hz to 20 kHz.
■ Center Speaker (SKC-338): Type Full Range Bass-reflex Impedance 6 Ω Maximum input power 120 W Sensitivity 82 dB/W/m Frequency response 80 Hz to 20 kHz.
■ Surround Speakers (SKR-338): Type Full Range Bass-reflex Impedance 6 Ω Maximum input power 120 W Sensitivity 82 dB/W/m Frequency response 80 Hz to 20 kHz

pulpfxn

I had this speaker system years ago as part of the Onkyo HT-S3305 HTIB. The included receiver was the Onkyo HT-R380, which is virtually the same as the entry level TX-SR308 receiver, but with speaker level outputs for the sub instead of a subwoofer out.

I don't think that there are any standalone 5.1 receivers which have speaker level outputs from any of the mainstream manufacturers (but I could be wrong). It seems like the entry level HTIBs from Onkyo (and maybe other companies) still include receivers which have the required speaker level outputs, so buying any of them from the last few years will solve your issue (for Onkyo, HT-R###). I'm not sure how many of them you'd find for sale though.

Honestly I think that a better option would be to get an affordable receiver (with sub output) and sub. This will also greatly expand your options for upgrading in the future.

spiderman01

That's right. I have the Onkyo HT-S3305 but because I have the 49XF90 TV and the 4k capable Mutant HD51 satellite receiver I thought I had to upgrade my AV system to make use of the UHD capabilities. Oh well, I will have to rethink my options then.

Anyway, thank you very much for your time mate. You have given me bad news but at least now I know where I stand.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom