• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

What receiver best with wharfedales?

Neil22

Standard Member
What do you think of this set up:

Front: Wharfedale diamond 10.3s
Rear: Wharfedale diamond 10.1s
Centre: Wharfedale diamond CS centre
Sub: BK Gemini MK2
Sony BDPS370 blue-ray player

Not sure what receiver would work best. I heard the wharfedales with the Sony STRDA3500ES which sounded good. Any thoughts? Does the MK2 work well with the wharfedales? Cheers

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I think you're along the right lines with the Sony, particularly if you liked the sound. They're meant to be warm sounding speakers so most people would partner them with a bright receiver such as Sony, Pioneer and Onkyo. These are not hard and fast rules and some people don't always agree with what is bright/warm/neutral. I for one, used Tannoy speakers with Arcam/Yamaha/Denon which some people on here would say is a no-no.

A sub will integrate well with any speakers as LFE doesn't really have a characteristic of its own. I wouldn't worry about using the sub within any setup.

So, if you liked it, go for it! :D

Marky1973

I'm a great believer in my own ears (and my eyes of course, but they don't help much with the sound of speakers)......my Denon is a warm amp with the warm wharfedales and it sounds amazing to me.......actually it is in for repair at the moment, so just been using the same speakers with a loaned Yamaha 567, also warm.......it was a bit more 'warm' than the Denon in my opinion, but still gives a great sound......originally had a Sony STR-DG820 with them and that was bright.....and that sounded fine as well......

The different pairings all had noticeably different sounds, but not in any bad way - just different......so really, what I am saying is the same a Dave...........don't worry too much about what people say 'should' sound good, just go for what you know sounds good to you!

and, I do believe the Sony 3500 is a nice amp, so enjoy!

Marky1973

oh, and welcome to the forums!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom