What reasons could mean laptop can’t see SSID of router, or connect via Ethernet either?

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wife is working from home, using an NHS supplied Dell laptop, not sure of model but about 2 years old running win10. She had no problems with our older router, but I recently changed to a good ASUS router (AX88U) and can’t connect to it.

The first issue is that the laptop can’t even see the network SSID, let alone connect. I have 2 laptops and loads IoT stuff, consoles and old devices that work fine. Her laptop can see our neighbours wifi networks fine. I plugged in a spare I have and it can see and connect to that.

The second issue is that it won’t connect via Ethernet either, just says network cable not connected. I’ve tried two cables and connected another laptop fine. In fact the WiFi AP is connected to the same cable, providing internet this way.

I’m fairly good with networking, but I have looked at everything I can and everything seems fine. It’s only my router it has an issue with, and my other 40+ devices work fine. I’ve had plenty of problems before with WiFi that I resolved, but I’ve never seen an SSID go AWOL and Ethernet not work like this. I thought it could be some kind of security on the laptop, but I don’t think it is and it connects to lots of other crappy networks.

Any ideas what could cause this? Thanks.

Last edited:
What is your wifi set to 5Ghz or 2.4ghz - could it be that you have changed from say older 2.4ghz to newer 5ghz wifi signal with the new router and your wifes laptop cannot see the this ? I mean its unlikely with the laptop being fairly new but its the first thing I can think off.

EDIT - ok seen the bit about the network cable also, thats odd, has the wired connect worked before ? I mean has it ever worked.

Has the windows 10 versions updated recently ? Some driver are really spitting the dummy out on the very latest version of win 10 - 20H2 version - for example there is a audio driver on the HP that will stop the windows 1 update occuring if not manually updated. - Audio, what the heck ?

maybe she needs a drivers update ?

Last edited:
What is your wifi set to 5Ghz or 2.4ghz - could it be that you have changed from say older 2.4ghz to newer 5ghz wifi signal with the new router and your wifes laptop cannot see the this ? I mean its unlikely with the laptop being fairly new but its the first thing I can think off.

EDIT - ok seen the bit about the network cable also, thats odd, has the wired connect worked before ? I mean has it ever worked.

Has the windows 10 versions updated recently ? Some driver are really spitting the dummy out on the very latest version of win 10 - 20H2 version - for example there is a audio driver on the HP that will stop the windows 1 update occuring if not manually updated. - Audio, what the heck ?

maybe she needs a drivers update ?

Thanks. Yes the laptop works fine on other WiFi and wired networks, has done today. I even tried setting up a guest account, 2.5ghz only, and it can’t see that either. Really odd.

Any MAC address filtering going on? Could you reset the ASUS to factory defaults & see if that fixes it

If the admin has allowed it - does the network troubleshooter do anything useful?

if the SSID is there other devices can see it the issue is with the laptop.

I would question if it see 2.4 ghz networks at all. it is possibly 5ghz only.

Again, for wired if everything works on the router but not the laptop, the it is the problem. The only thing I would check is make sure you have enough DHCP addresses available so when it is requesting one it is getting one (wired and wifi) also I would check to see it (laptop) isn't holding on to an address for some reason, or even (unlikely) a static address.

I think this is probably a job for the NHS tech support since in all likely hood you won't be able to do too much troubleshooting without admin access.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom