What rear surrounds for awkward spaces

essgee

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've recently spent some money on some q acoustic bookshelves (on stands) with a matching q acoustic centre. I'm currently using some old yamaha satellite speakers for my rear surrounds... Purely due to size. They need upgrading...

Having bookshelves as rears isn't an option really.. At least no deep ones. I also looked at some monitor dipole ones but I cannot get them 2ft away from the corners.

It's a bit of a bloody awkward shape room.. I've got one rear surround on a shelving unit and then another just behind the sofa on a crappy metal stand. I guess the sound may be better if the speaker was all the way to the right on the other side of the door?

Open to suggestions anyway... Thanks in advance.

P.s. Excuse the mess 😬

Attachments

• 16349358442888805171077850122256.jpg
    16349358442888805171077850122256.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 16349359136305688167862476376152.jpg
    16349359136305688167862476376152.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 89
You could also look at a pair of Kef T-101 speakers which should be able to fit on the side walls. For speaker cabling, you will require something thin like Fisual Miniature speaker cable. They can be mounted to the wall with a couple of screws each and the cabling slots in without any plugs but uses an allen key grub screw fixing them in place like any high quality banana plug. Again the Q Acoustics is another great option to

Example white QA 7000i mounted on the side walls (further away) higher up and aimed toward listeners.

Not a bad shout there, thanks for the suggestion.
You could also look at a pair of Kef T-101 speakers which should be able to fit on the side walls. For speaker cabling, you will require something thin like Fisual Miniature speaker cable. They can be mounted to the wall with a couple of screws each and the cabling slots in without any plugs but uses an allen key grub screw fixing them in place like any high quality banana plug. Again the Q Acoustics is another great option to
Hmm, I haven't seen these before. They do look discreet and I could defintely mount them on the side walls without any trouble. Really appreciate the suggestion.

Will have a ponder over which set to go for...

How deep is the small wall next to the door / where your sofa is housed?
28cm deep.

I wish the bloody room was a rectangle but sadly it just frustrates anyone wanting easy 5.1 placement 😂

At the moment the surround sat in that 28cm is really close to the listening position.

I'm not sure whether it should be the other side of the door or in that 28cm section.

Its always hard when it's like that as you end up inevitably with some listening bias.

I'm wondering if something like the DALI Alteco mounted up high may be a better fit for your room?

1635101969327.png

You could go in the two red areas, or you could also try a red and an orange for balance.

Its always hard when it's like that as you end up inevitably with some listening bias.

I'm wondering if something like the DALI Alteco mounted up high may be a better fit for your room?

View attachment 1591260

You could go in the two red areas, or you could also try a red and an orange for balance.
Hmm thanks for the suggestion.. Wouldn't have thought of those.

I'll have to have a think about the Kef vs those. My initiative thought is the Kefs are a little less hassle to install as they don't have to go up as high.

Installation is absolutely a factor.

You can generally speaking run the cables in a "dot and dab" or "stud wall" modern home quite easily without too much swearing :D

There are surface mounted options but genuinely, hiding cables isn't too hard to do if you take your time. It's worth the hassle I promise :)

Installation is absolutely a factor.

You can generally speaking run the cables in a "dot and dab" or "stud wall" modern home quite easily without too much swearing :D

There are surface mounted options but genuinely, hiding cables isn't too hard to do if you take your time. It's worth the hassle I promise :)
Dot and dab here.. About 10mm cavity.. Found this out the hard way mounting the TV on the wall. For thin speaker cable though I cant see any hassles there. You're absolutely right though... Its well worth it. I cannot stand cables going up walls or trunking. Just makes me sick 😂😂

Thanks again for the replies.. My folks were both born and bred in Yorkshire so you are advising a fellow Yorkshireman by blood!

Big thanks to everyone for your replies - genuinely would be still lost without your help.

After some deliberation I've decided to go for the Kef 101s as they get the thumbs up from the Mrs as much as anything.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom