1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What rear speakers to get in 7 ch. setup?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nathan_silly, Mar 17, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at getting a 7 channel processor soon. I have a 5.1 system, with dipoles on the side wall.

The back wall is only 1.5M behind my listening position. What speaker type shall I get? Monopoles, bipoles, dipoles or tripoles?

I've heard bipoles should be used, and these (I think) work best of the back wall.

Thanks

2. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i have a simliar room layout, the back wall is <1m from the listening postion though. i tried m&k ss150 (i have these as surrounds already) and it was just too much, if you can have a look at in-ceiling speakers.
    BTW, io prefer the spread of tripoles but as you will find out people tend to prefer monopoles now, i think, or has it changed again:confused:

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So tripoles are too obvious as rear surrounds- even at a reduced volume?

NHT don't make bipoles, I would like to match if possible.

I can get Def Technology BP-1X and BP-2X's, will these be ok?

If there is a slight difference in sound, also trying to find out if the Lexicon MC-1 has a treble adjustment for each channel, so if the Def. Tech's are a bit harsh/soft I can tweak them.

I don't like monopoles as sides either- too directional, Dipole is much better- despite what other guys on this forum say (and one loser on usenet whose name you probably know!)

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    For the surround back channel I don't think there's ever any reason not to use monopole speakers. It's only an issue for surround left and right speakers.

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I use a single Centre speaker for my rear surround and it works well. Only 1m away.

6. yop

yop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it odd to use a center speaker as a rear speaker? That sounds like novel idea.

Is there any advantage to that? :) I have always thought the norm is to use a similar speaker like your front.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To match my dipole sides I would have to go for NHT Super Two's. I've got a B&W CC6 & B&W 601 spare, ok to use these instead? (until I find replacement)

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    We tried a paradigm cc170 as a rear for 6.1 and also a b&w 601s2

I found the 601s2 worked better it just seemed a better speaker.

But I think the idea of using a centre works it's just the one we used wasn't the greatest.

We have 7.1 using wharfdale VERY OLd 7.1 speakers for the two rears I think i prefer it as 6.1 with a better speaker and I think a decent centre would be great as a rear.

Try the 601 nathan and see how that goes, I don't think you will be to disappointed.

Steff

EDIT: Oh if you don't like it and just have the one 601 wanna sell it off cheaply :devil: then we can go full 7 as b&w

9. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    All the best people meet eh Nathan and Sounddog ;)

What do you guys thing about the Rear surround. Do you think its worth it. What if you only have 1mtr behind you, Not much room for sound to breath.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, reason thinking a single bipole (maybe) would be better than a single monopole, as a standard speaker brings attention to itself (bad)

Can always try my 601, CC6 and a mate has a pair of Celestion Dipoles- and can get some Def Tech Bipoles to demo for a week or so. Should be able to find one speaker type I prefer out of that lot.

11. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Hiya petrolhead and Nathan.

Fancy meeting you on here!!

Petrol, hope you get the power amp ;) oh and if you know where another one is going spare ..... :devil:

7.1 over 5.1 I personally think that 6.1 is better then 5.1 we do not have much room behind us less then 1m I would guess. We are playing with 7.1 at the moment bu it really isan't that much of a difference to 6.1 the 6th is a far bigger jump at least given our constrained amount of room. The 7th is more for showing off then anything :D

I'm sure vikki will disagree or maybe if we got two good speakers for the rears I might change my mind. But well 6.1 is great 7.1 is probably better but with a small amount of room behind us it's not much different.

Mind you in a big open room I would def go for 7.1 because helicopter scenes etc... do flow that bit better but 1 rear does pretty darn near the same job as we are so close up to them.

So when we all going out to a pub then :smashin:

Steff

12. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Off now. I wish :)