What rear speakers go best with dali zensor1

rosenelson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking to add two surround back speakers to existing 5.1 Dali sensor 7, Dali vokal, zensor 1 and Dali ef12 sub. Can't spend more than £70. Will the surround back matter for tonal match? What speakers match the closest please? They are driven byyamaha rxv673

are are drive

It is not that the Tone of the Rear/Side speakers doesn't matter, it just doesn't matter as much as the Front and Center.

For £70/pr, your options are limited.

Also, are they any other restriction we need to know about. Limited space, wall mounting, etc... the devil is in the details.

The JBL Control ONE are reasonable small and though the bass response is limited they would do well for surround sound -

Superfi - JBL CONTROL 1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

I don't know a lot about ROTH but they seem reasonably good -

Superfi - ROTH OLi 20 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

From Richer Sounds, you can still get the old Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 for a bargain price -

Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.0 Black | Speakers Per Pair | Richer Sounds

But without some better indication of what your specific needs and limitations are, it is hard to make a real recommendation. I also think with a limited £70/pr budget, you are going to simply have to take what you can get.

Steve/bluewizard

BlueWizard said:
It is not that the Tone of the Rear/Side speakers doesn't matter, it just doesn't matter as much as the Front and Center.

For £70/pr, your options are limited.

Also, are they any other restriction we need to know about. Limited space, wall mounting, etc... the devil is in the details.

The JBL Control ONE are reasonable small and though the bass response is limited they would do well for surround sound -

Superfi - JBL CONTROL 1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

I don't know a lot about ROTH but they seem reasonably good -

Superfi - ROTH OLi 20 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

From Richer Sounds, you can still get the old Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 for a bargain price -

Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.0 Black | Speakers Per Pair | Richer Sounds

But without some better indication of what your specific needs and limitations are, it is hard to make a real recommendation. I also think with a limited £70/pr budget, you are going to simply have to take what you can get.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks a lot for your suggestions Steve. I was specifically looking for stand mounted. I am using surround left and Right as surround Back(placed at two corners of the room on speaker stands)at the moment. If I place them to the left and right of the sofa then I have to place the surround backs behind sofa about 2 feet(distance to wall)wharfedale looks good.

Personally I would get matching rears as well. Although it matters less to match fronts to rears I still feel it is important to match across the rear. The aim if adding more speakers to the rear is to get a more full and imersive rear effect. Mismatched speakers could ruin this and sound worse than 5.1. Your system will only be as good as the weakest element so I think it would be better to stick to 5.1 until you can get the proper matching speakers.

I find that the surround backs are least important in terms of matching: I recently changed my side surrounds for a better match to my fronts (PMC TB2 fronts and a PMC Wafer1 surround). This sounded much better than with a little M&K K4 side surround, so the better match was worth persuing even if I gave up a tripole side surround for an 'inferior' monopole one.

However, I moved the K4 to the back surround position and any tonal mismatch seems to be pretty insignificant IMHO. It's obvious when listening to the test tones since the K4 sounds really 'thin' but for actual film watching, much harder to tell. I couldn't justify £1,500 for another pair of Wafer 1s anyway (and little chance of another secondhand pair turning up again soon) so that's the way it's staying. I'd just get whatever fits physically and cosmetically into your room and budget.

EDIT: Either that or keep your eyes on the forum classifieds for some Dali speakers.

May I ask what speaker cable are you running for surround? I have just changed my system to Dali Zensor as well. I need around 15m for that.

Thanks bluewizard,psm1 and kelvin. I finally ordered diamond 9.0 for £49.99now looking for some budget cable as the decent ones are costing more than the speaker itself. I need about 15 metres(7.5 metres each). Any suggestions please? I'm using cambridge audio ultra 100 on the existing dali.

Just get some 2.5mm oxygen free copper cable. Ebay sell it for around £1 per metre. If you want to pay more then Van Damme blue would be a good option.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom