What ratings have surprised you?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Squirrel God, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've often watched movies while unaware of what the rating is. Afterwards, as I've put the DVD back on the shelf, I've seen the rating and sometimes I have been rather surprised at what it is. :eek:

Therefore, it seems to me that there must be quite a few DVDs out there with ratings that surprise some of us because they don't seem to quite match the content.

So what gets your vote for the most surprising rating on a DVD?

I'll give you two recent ones of mine, both of which are comedies, to start things off.....

1. Kingpin R1 (Director's Cut) - rated R
    This Director's Cut is supposed to have additional material that makes it worthy of an increased R rating. I can't say I noticed much that was different from the original version (although it was a few years ago the last time I saw it), but more importantly, I found nothing in there that justified this R rating! No gratuitous violence, no extreme nudity, no gratuitous swearing, nothing!

2. Joe Dirt R2 - rated 12
    There's a bit in this movie where there's some confusion over whether a girl that Joe is currently dating is his sister or not. After he finds out that she's not his sister, Joe finds it difficult to 'rise to the occasion'. Therefore, in the belief that it might help, him and the girl therefore 'pretend' that they are indeed related and Joe is once again able to 'perform'. Given the jokes often made about 'relatives' and 'white trash' in America (this film is set within a 'white trash' community), this is not as bad as it might sound here where I've taken it out of context. However, this aside, it's not really what parents might expect given the 12 rating!

2. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have to say I've always thought Jaws shoud have been more than a PG. Maybe a 15 would have suited it beter?

3. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Debbie does Darlington was never an 18

4. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,544
    The Abyss (15) can't understand how it got that rating, The Mummy (15) as well, my 8 yr old loves it, strange! Then you get a film as graphic as Saving Private Ryan (15) also, one I wouldn't dream of letting him watch, it upset me when I saw it at the pictures. Tee's avatar reminded me The Thing (18), scary as hell when I was young, bit tame now!

Si

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I've always found it interesting that films like Lethal Weapon III or IV, or "Die Hard With A Vengeance" get a 15, especially when there are so many repeated uses of the word f*** or mother-f*****.

Now, it's not that that actually offends me personally, but whilst the average 15 year old may know of the word, it does seem strange that such excessive use doesn't get it upped to an "18". However, I kind of understand that an "18" would be inappropriate.

Pooch

6. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The Termimator SE R2 DVD is a 15 cert, back in the day on VHS and cinema it was an 18 cert.

Dog Soldiers, OMG that movie rocked, it was damm gorey
    and it was a 15 cert in the cinema.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Meet Joe Black is a 12. But the bit where he gets hit by the car was almost too much for me to take let alone a 12 year old :eek:

8. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I am constantly amused by the inconsistency of BBFC ratings. The thing that you have to bare in mind is "context". With "Dog Soldiers" although graphic in content, the fundamental premise (IE folk eaten by werewolves) is not based in reality (well not to my experience anyway). Were as the shocking and powerful violence you will often see in a Scorcese movie is both plausibel and reality based. They must me treated differently.

Having a ten year old son, I use BBFC classifications as a guideline. I like to be informed about content, but ultimately make the decision as to whether he should view it myself. If need be, I'll watch it in advance.

He is old enough to make the following distinctions. What is fantasy based, and what is reality based. Also the fact that you do not imitate or copy what you see. That films are just entertainment and (normally) no one gets hurt and IT IS NOT REAL.

As a resulty, he gets to see a lot of material his friends do not get to see. However, he does not have a TV in his room. All viewing is done as a family (apart from Yu-Gi-Oh which is the spawn of Satan and I will not be in the same room while it's on), and frequently discussed and debated after.

Sorry got a little of track. Certificate anomalys of BBFC **** ups:

Lord Of The Rings. (Decapitations in PG movies! An absolute pleasure).
    The Fifth Element. ( Lots of dodgy sexual overtones for a PG movie).
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark. (Right PG movies have headshots, loads of bullet hits, flesh melting and exploding heads!!!)

9. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Tee,
    I have the R2 anniversary ed. of Jaws & I'm pretty sure it's a '12'. (Only watched it last week).
    Am I imagining things or did it have a higher rating on its original theatrical release?

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, because 12 didn't exist in those days. It was brought in a while after to compensate for films that were caught between a PG and a 15.

Showing my age now :(

11. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    So it was a 'PG' when it was released?

12. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    That is correct - on release it was rated PG but in a little box on the poster is said "May be to intense for younger children". Very true as far as I'm concerned :eek:

13. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    The DVD version of "Jaws" is rated "12" due to the extra features. They contain one "sexual swaer word". The movie is still rated "PG". Check the BBFC website.

14. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    JP 1 maybe should be a 15? I remember the impact the opening scene had on me at the cinema, when the velocoraptor ate the gatekeeper who fell down.... great but quite graphic. Don't get me wrong, it was just that I thought maybe 'some' kids might be overwhelmed by it. How wrong I was though. In front of me were probably the most blood thirsty, kill everything in sight worshipers going, at the grand old age of no more than 8 or 9! Can't wait for kids of my own.:rolleyes: :D

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's interesting that they never change the original rating of films.

16. Ignatious

Ignatious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going back to Jaws for a moment, I am really showing my age, but when it was first released in cinemas, PG did not exist and it was rated something like AA which meant that children under 14 could not see unless with person over 18? I could be wrong on this.............anyone know for sure?

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Showing my age too.... but now you come to mention it, I do remember that they completely revised the ratings system to make it more 'understandable' and so all the ratings were renamed!!! Not sure if this was before or after Jaws however......

18. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's got to be Final Destination. Features detailed and frequent close ups of killings and was only a 15!

Not one to show as an inflight movie, that's for sure!

19. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Ignatious, Jaws on it's first release in summer 75 was rated "A" by the BBFC.

"A" certificates had the same stipulations as todays PG. Some scenes may not be suitable for the very young etc.

20. Metallifux

Metallifux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If memory serves the first film given a 12 cert was Batman, though I could be wrong.

21. Metallifux

Metallifux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starship Troopers 15 at the cinema, that surprised me after seeing it.

22. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Actually, I think the first film to be given the "12" certificate was "Madame Sousatzka", but as "Batman" was a far higher profile film, this got most of the attention in regard to the introduction of the (then) new rating. Weird as it still got cut to get it (Batman, that is).

Hopefully the BBFC experiment with PG-12 will conclude soon and be introduced nationally. IE A film with this rating will allow children under that age in if accompanied by an adult.

23. Metallifux

Metallifux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the BBFC website Madame Sousatzka is a 15???

24. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Your right, it weren't that one. Must have been some other small budget, human drama type thing of that ilk.

Anyone remember?

25. Metallifux

Metallifux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe the type of thing that probably nobody watched.

26. Metallifux

Metallifux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Success straight from the bbfc under their contact us link

The '12' category was introduced in 1989 for film and 1994 for video because the Board felt that there was too much of a gap between 'PG' and '15'. The first film to receive the new '12' rating nationally was Batman. In addition the American classification system had introduced a PG13 category which, without the '12' category, would have meant that a number of popular films aimed at the young teenage audience would have been unavailable to anyone under 15 years of age.

27. the badger

the badger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think BBFC ratings are becoming increasingly irrelevant for dvd and home video. First there is the fact that so many people now import them (no longer just enthusiasts) and US dvds do not have to be rated- sometimes the film is but not the extras. Secondly we live in an increasingly diverse society where people have many different values and standards. Some parents are worried about swearing. Others will be more concerned about violence. I think the boxes which certain companies put on the back of there discs with info such as "swearing- strong, frequent" "violence - mild, occasional" are much more useful as they allow parents to make a choice based on meaningful information. Ultimately I think that age ratings actually increase the amount of violence in films as many teenagers and adults will assume that a film is just for kids if it has a U or PG rating. Film makers therefore increase the violence and swearing to get an 18 rating and thus be considered a film for grown ups.

28. Glasswalker

Glasswalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is now an 18 on the DVD version.

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Ring" being a 12 certificate (the DVD is only a 15 as it has a trailer for "Ring 2")

"the most scary film since the exorcist" or something, it says on the back ........ hello ? 12 certificate ?!!!

30. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What amazes me is the American ratings system. There a kid of any age can see an 'R' rated film as long as they are with an adult. I saw Alien Ressurection (which is a pretty horrible film) in Seattle and there were three kids sitting behind me with their dad, they were about 8 years old. I was absolutelty horrified, it spoilt the film for me worrying about those poor kids (mind you the film was pretty bad anyway so it didn't spoil it that much!). They seemed utterly traumatised by it.