1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What RAM and motherboard for upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Sandman, May 24, 2005.

1. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    I am in the process of upgrading my pc to become a full time media center machine. I have already installed MCE2005 and have an ATI TV wonder, nvidia 4600ti graphics, audigy sound and a card reader installed. It has an AMD 2000xp CPU and 512MB 133mhz SDRAM. I feel it is now time to upgrade the CPU, RAM and motherboard. I just won an ebay auction for a P4 2.8 512/800 CPU and am now looking for advice on what motherbaord and RAM I need to buy. I would like the motherbaord to have USB2 support, not bothered about firewire as my audigy card comes with it. I am looking for a budget solution as funds are tight at the moment.
    Thanks guys
    Sandman

2. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Doh! I have been looking about trying my best to research this myself. I have discovered I need a socket 478 motherbaord to take my new CPU, these boards all seem to take DDR RAM so that takes care of what RAM I need to buy. Now I also see that some boards come with on board digital sound which means I can get rid of the audigy card but means I need the board to have a firewire connection. I also need to use my existing hard drives (ATA).
    So the requirements are:

On board digital sound
    Firewire
    USB2
    socket 478 CPU
    ATA connections
    ATX form factor

Can anybody recomend a suitable motherbaord that meets these requirements for under £50?
    please...

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0