1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What pwer amp for £1000 - £1200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Brad_Porter, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right,

Maybe I should ask my last threads question this way really.

I want to upgrade my power section (for the time being) of my system and I only have a budget of around £1000-£1200 to cover my 5 M&K speakers. Please bear in mind that my speakers are all 4Ohms and will need a fairly decent amp to cope!!

I know its not a vast amount of money for a power amp, but if it was your £1200, where would you place it. Once again, bear in mind that the amp has to have good current delivery as these are all 4Ohm speakers; I like to play my system fairly loud (especially while demoing) so it neads headroom.

Is it possible for this kind of money? It has to exceed an Arcam P-25 3 Channel Power Amp otherwise its not worth me spending the money to upgrade for more slam!

Regards,
    Brad Porter

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2nd hand.

Rotel 991 and 993, 200w per channel, THX. Should be able to get them for about £250 each.

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Erm ... £250 for a 991 would be a bargain, £250 for a 993 would be a miracle ... usual price for them are around £300 and £400 respectively.

For that sort of money ... take a look at the RMB1095 ... should be around that price new (can't remember exact price).

Vikki

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mate bought them at that price! :D

Three 993's were sold on these forums for £750.

1095 is £1800 I think

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    I should have said then ... the ones I've seen recently (except the 3 sold here ... but they were a real big bargain) go for a lot more the £250 especially for the 3 channel ones. Recently on the TAG MacLaren classified a 991 went for £300.

If you can get some cheep, then the RB991 / 993 will do you good, but otherwise I think you may have to look at spending a little more.

If you already have a Arcam 3ch ... have you considered adding a second one and bi-amping your speakers for more control??

I think you've already had lots of replies on your other thread though!!

Vikki

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,976
    I am using a Rotel 1075 THX 5 Ch amp (£800) with five M&K 4 ohm loads. This is a real bargain of an amp with plenty of muscle to drive the M&Ks with ease, never even getting near warm. (room 13ft x 14ft x 12.5ft)