Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What pwer amp for £1000 - £1200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Brad_Porter, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right,

Maybe I should ask my last threads question this way really.

I want to upgrade my power section (for the time being) of my system and I only have a budget of around £1000-£1200 to cover my 5 M&K speakers. Please bear in mind that my speakers are all 4Ohms and will need a fairly decent amp to cope!!

I know its not a vast amount of money for a power amp, but if it was your £1200, where would you place it. Once again, bear in mind that the amp has to have good current delivery as these are all 4Ohm speakers; I like to play my system fairly loud (especially while demoing) so it neads headroom.

Is it possible for this kind of money? It has to exceed an Arcam P-25 3 Channel Power Amp otherwise its not worth me spending the money to upgrade for more slam!

Regards,
    Brad Porter

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2nd hand.

Rotel 991 and 993, 200w per channel, THX. Should be able to get them for about £250 each.

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Erm ... £250 for a 991 would be a bargain, £250 for a 993 would be a miracle ... usual price for them are around £300 and £400 respectively.

For that sort of money ... take a look at the RMB1095 ... should be around that price new (can't remember exact price).

Vikki

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mate bought them at that price! :D

Three 993's were sold on these forums for £750.

1095 is £1800 I think

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I should have said then ... the ones I've seen recently (except the 3 sold here ... but they were a real big bargain) go for a lot more the £250 especially for the 3 channel ones. Recently on the TAG MacLaren classified a 991 went for £300.

If you can get some cheep, then the RB991 / 993 will do you good, but otherwise I think you may have to look at spending a little more.

If you already have a Arcam 3ch ... have you considered adding a second one and bi-amping your speakers for more control??

I think you've already had lots of replies on your other thread though!!

Vikki

6. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,973
    I am using a Rotel 1075 THX 5 Ch amp (£800) with five M&K 4 ohm loads. This is a real bargain of an amp with plenty of muscle to drive the M&Ks with ease, never even getting near warm. (room 13ft x 14ft x 12.5ft)