What PVR? So much choice . .

R

Ross Kemp

Hi,

I`m looking for a PVR but there`s quite alot of choice out there, Yeah I`ve searched, read various threads, checked specs and prices but I`m still none the wiser. I`ve been into the local independent who wants to sell me what he wants (Sony) and also tried the likes of Currys but I`m still not sure what make / model to go for.

Needs to be easy to use.
Will not be used too much, record, watch, delete.
Quiet in operation.
Approx. £150. could go a little more maybe.
Go with Panasonic TXL 32 20sb.

R

Ross Kemp

So, I`m trying to be decisive, how about the Humax 9300t?

Would the FoxT2 be overkill for my needs, over budget too.

PhilipL

Hi

It would seem silly to buy a PVR that couldn't get the HD channels, as if you don't get them now, you will in the not too distant future. Having a PVR that shows HD channels also future proofs the PVR as at some point standard definition channels will start to use the more efficient encoder which is currently only used for HD channels, and these will only be viewable with an HD PVR.

The DigitalStream DHR8203U (around £160.00 on Amazon with 320G drive) is a very good PVR, based on the same hardware as the Humax FOX-T2, but without the more advanced networking and streaming, which means they are cheaper.

Regards

Phil

R

Ross Kemp

Hi

It would seem silly to buy a PVR that couldn't get the HD channels, as if you don't get them now, you will in the not too distant future. Having a PVR that shows HD channels also future proofs the PVR as at some point standard definition channels will start to use the more efficient encoder which is currently only used for HD channels, and these will only be viewable with an HD PVR.
Good point, thanks Phil.

R

Ross Kemp

The DigitalStream DHR8203U looks inviting.

Any thoughts on a Panasonic DMR HW100?

A little over budget but the sales are on . .

iaint

Hi.
Check if it has advertising on the programme guide. Many Panasonic units do. The DigitalStream does not.
--
Regards, Iain.

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi Iain, is that a good or bad thing?

RK.
The advert that exists on Panasonic EPG's is extremely insulting to the consumer.
It uses real estate on the screen that would be much better put for the real purpose of the EPG.

However it is very easily ignored.
I use Panasonic equipment all the time and to this day I do not know what is advertised there and I am determined to keep it that way.

As irritating as it's presence is, other considerations regarding the comparative choices of equipment make the presence, or otherwise, of an advert irrelevant.

The EPG is a functional tool - used only occasionally.
The picture quality, reliability of function, reliability of hardware, and value for money are the factors that matter.

PhilipL

Hi

The advert that exists on Panasonic EPG's is extremely insulting to the consumer.
It uses real estate on the screen that would be much better put for the real purpose of the EPG.

However it is very easily ignored.
I use Panasonic equipment all the time and to this day I do not know what is advertised there and I am determined to keep it that way.

As irritating as it's presence is, other considerations regarding the comparative choices of equipment make the presence, or otherwise, of an advert irrelevant.

The EPG is a functional tool - used only occasionally.
The picture quality, reliability of function, reliability of hardware, and value for money are the factors that matter.
Yes it does seem to have the GuidePlus+ EPG, it's not a nice interface to use adverts or no adverts and you lose the TV picture when you view the guide. Also potentially that guide data my stop at some point as it doesn't use the normal Freeview EPG data.

To the OP, the DigitalStream is what you should go for, don't even think about any others :hiya:

Regards

Phil

Gavtech

Administrator
Yes it does seem to have the GuidePlus+ EPG, it's not a nice interface to use adverts or no adverts and you lose the TV picture when you view the guide.
I often hear that said - although I am bewildered why users would want that intrusion. Each to their own.
Also potentially that guide data my stop at some point as it doesn't use the normal Freeview EPG data.
...but about as likely as Freeview itself stopping. - Not likely.
To the OP, the DigitalStream is what you should go for, don't even think about any others
That is just too blatantly partisan.[ and unlike you Phil ] There are other well regarded units.

PhilipL

Hi

I often hear that said - although I am bewildered why users would want that intrusion. Each to their own.

...but about as likely as Freeview itself stopping. - Not likely.
GuidePlus+ is less safe than Freeview EPG data as it is a profit making company, they stop making a profit, they go bust, the data stops, it's happened before with similar third party supplied EPG data.

That is just too blatantly partisan.[ and unlike you Phil ] There are other well regarded units.
Hardly, it fits the customer's wants and their budget almost exactly while providing HD over and above their initial request for features. If someone else can recommend something that fits the bill even more closely that is as well regarded as the DigitalStream then lets have it :hiya:

Regards

Phil

R

Ross Kemp

Thanks to all for their input.

I`m going to the shops tomorrow to have a closer look at what`s on offer.

R

Ross Kemp

David, thanks but I wouldn`t even know how to add a hard drive.

So it seems it`s down to 2 models.

I can`t find a DigitalStream DHR8303U anywhere locally though at £159 at Currys (no stock) the price is right,

The Panasonic DMRHW100 is down to £200 at Richersounds (35 miles away), tempting at that price, but £229 at Currys and £299 at my local independent.

iaint

Hi.
You add a USB harddrive; just plugs in the back. No screwdrivers or anything like that required. Get a 2.5"/"portable" drive and it's a single USB wire.
Note the HDFoxT2 only has a single tuner, the HDRFoxT2 has two. Yes, you save a bit, but lose a lot of flexibility. If you've a John Lewis nearby, you can click-n-collect the DigitalStream with the 500GB harddrive for £200.
--
Regards, Iain.

clemenzina

clemenzina

clemenzina

The Philips is likely to be Trouble with a capital T - bearing in mind that it was appallingly glitchy from the start and if those eBuyer ones are returns they are most unlikely to have had anything whatsoever done to them - except maybe switched on to ensure they get a picture. Much praise was heaped on HD picture quality, but it was downhill from there onwards.

R

Ross Kemp

I`ve opted for the DigitalStream, so thanks for all your comments not just here but on other threads I`ve been reading.

I wanted to buy new and I really fancied the Panasonic, would`ve gone with the TV too and is a known brand to me but was another £70, just a bit too much over budget for what will be a little used machine. I`d never heard of DigitalStream before so was being a little wary. As much as I dislike using Currys, the price was right, but I always find their customer service lacking somewhat.

Happy New Year !

Gavtech

Administrator
I`ve opted for the DigitalStream, so thanks for all your comments not just here but on other threads I`ve been reading.

I wanted to buy new and I really fancied the Panasonic, would`ve gone with the TV too and is a known brand to me but was another £70, just a bit too much over budget for what will be a little used machine. I`d never heard of DigitalStream before so was being a little wary. As much as I dislike using Currys, the price was right, but I always find their customer service lacking somewhat.

Happy New Year !
Thanks for reporting back... and good luck with your machine.

clemenzina

As much as I dislike using Currys, the price was right, but I always find their customer service lacking somewhat.
When I bought refurbished laptops (2 at different times) from Currys I found their 24/7 telephone support quite useful. One of the laptops had a faulty power supply and it was replaced without quibble. But you shouldn't need them, you'll have the oh-so-helpful DigitalStream thread on here and the manufacturers/distributors (?) are very good, I understand :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt

Trending threads

Latest News

Ennio Morricone: Legendary film composer dies aged 91
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 5th July 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky comedy panel shows back to film new series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Polk launches MagniFi 2 soundbar