what PSU for no more than £30

meizumintyboi

Established Member
Reaction score
so what psu do u reccomend for my system for no more than £30?

i am currently using a Hiper Type R Modular 580W PSU since MAY 06 on most of the time, but i hear that they have died and taken other components along with them to silicon heaven, the mobo, gpu, cpu & ram are the new parts for this upgrade & i didn't want to risk killing them so i will get a new PSU, does anyone disagree?

my specs:

MSI P6N SLI-F V2 NF650i SLi, S 775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533/667/800 MHz, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX

intel dual core e2180 2ghz 1mb (2x512kb) L2 cache

ocz 2gb ddr2 pc6400 800mhz non-eec unbuffered

ati dabs value x1950 pro 512mb gddr3 pci-x dual dvi

creative audigy 4

1 PATA DVDRW

3 PATA HDD

1 SATA HDD

3 80mm LED case fans

1 120mm LED case fan

LED Belkin PATA cable

thanks!

With 4 hard drives, dual core and a ATI gaming card I wouldn't get anything under 450W, look at 500W- you want some headroom. A good quality PSU is going to cost more than £30.

I use a Seasonic S12 430W in the HTPC (nice and quiet but not modular) and a Enermax Liberty 620W in the gaming rig.

For around £30 I think it is unlikely that you'll get a better PSU than what you already have. What sort of warranty do you have with the Hiper and does it include cover for any other parts of the PC if it blows up?

Realistically, to get a "better" PSU, you will need to double your budget.

I bet you're glad you post on here, all we ever do is tell you to spend more money. :)

lol i'm gona gamble i reckon... i spent £60 on it from PC World at the time it was only a little more than the web prices, so if anything goes wrong i'll sort it out with the warranty

If the PSU takes anything (or everything) you have zero chance of claiming from the manu. Yes the PSU is dead, but you can't prove it that PSU took out those components. Could have been to user fault, or due to power surge during a thunderstorm (which isn't covered)

As IT support person myself I wouldn't get your hopes up if the PSU pops.
Watch out for that hiper ticking, if you're lucky it'll tick before popping. If not a big blue flash.

What's £60 to the several hundred pounds of kit, plus the extra re-buying it? It's like driving on tyres with a visibly worn sidewall tyre. You know it'll go sometime, it might last 5000 miles, or maybe 100 miles.

What's £60 to the several hundred pounds of kit, plus the extra re-buying it? It's like driving on tyres with a visibly worn sidewall tyre. You know it'll go sometime, it might last 5000 miles, or maybe 100 miles.
But if you don't have £60 you don't have it. If it were me I'd save up the extra but who wants to spend all their spare cash on a computer? I currently have a 720 Enermax sitting in an Antec 900 powering a single core S939 64 until I can afford a Quadcore and a pair of 8800s to Sli but I'm happy to play games on my 360 or Wii till then. Priorities.

False economy. It never works out that way...I was too skint to afford a fail safe for RC model car? Guess what radio signal was lost, crashed into a tree and £150 of damage. Plus I needed to buy the failsafe anyway...after the crash. Same for pushbike, couldn't afford to buy new brake cables and they failed and crashed..

Called sods law.

ok point taken...

what brand PSU should i go for? Hiper? lol

I'm thinking;

OCZ or Enermax anything else?

us sad PC enthusiasts awake at gone past midnight on a forum... lol

some intense review there, so ur reccomending me this one PSU in the reasonable affordable price range?

how about the:

Tagan TG530-U15

Not used Tagan PSU's

was going to buy the corsair, but then i saw the Kingwin 520W Blue LED ABT-520MA1 from Tekheads.co.uk for £69.61 (inc. VAT & shipping City Link Next Day)

i just couldn't resist it's even better looking than the Hiper Type R lol well lets just hope Kingwin is actually bigger on performance than its name

Here's the only review i could find on the WWW because it's such well known brand lol by XSreviews

well i'll keep you all posted (as it's still fresh) on actually how it performs replacing my Hiper Type R 580W Modular in my new rig...

If the PSU takes anything (or everything) you have zero chance of claiming from the manu. Yes the PSU is dead, but you can't prove it that PSU took out those components. Could have been to user fault, or due to power surge during a thunderstorm (which isn't covered)

1) Buy everything from the same supplier, the supplier provides the guarantee.
2) After 1 year you don't care, the equipment is almost worthless, buy new.

3) Tell me again how many PSUs you have seen fail, and the price of each?

1) I'd like to see you get replacement items from a retailer with a blown PSU taking out some of the other components. Bet you £10 you won't.
2) My computer is more than 1 year old, it's perfectly fast enough. I would hate it if it broke down (4400x2 ATI X1900XT) Most people don't buy new computers every 12 months, I leave it until Windows and gaming is unusable
3) Personally used three, popped upon turn on. Cheap unbranded units. However our repair business has had dozens of computers with blown power supplies.

don't skimp on a psu - it will only cause you hassle and problems in the long term.

Spend a few more pounds on it and it will be worth it.

Any of the following brands are excellent

Tagan, seasonic, corsair hx.

I have a 530W tagan powering my rig and it's been rock steady for 20 months now, been through various setups in the last 20 months from 3700 AMD to X4400 x2 to E4300 to E6600 and it's been through 3 motherboards in that time. Very very stable and works well.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=241232
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=446788

was going to buy the corsair, but then i saw the Kingwin 520W Blue LED ABT-520MA1 from Tekheads.co.uk for £69.61 (inc. VAT & shipping City Link Next Day)

i just couldn't resist it's even better looking than the Hiper Type R lol well lets just hope Kingwin is actually bigger on performance than its name

Here's the only review i could find on the WWW because it's such well known brand lol by XSreviews

well i'll keep you all posted (as it's still fresh) on actually how it performs replacing my Hiper Type R 580W Modular in my new rig...

Should have gone with Corsair- more efficient, slightly higher rails (+12v)

Never scrape on the psu, it is the most important part of a build, important because if it goes pop, it can take out more components. I would have gone with the corsair also, but as per your request £30psu, on any given day to find a reputable psu at those watts for 30 quid would be impossible, scan had the fsp 500w yesterday for £34, bargain

the kingwin may not have been the best but it's what i wanted

This guy is the reviewer of both Kingwin & Corsair PSUs at XSReview

"Your PC will be completly fine with the Kingwin. The Corsair performed pretty much the same and has more electrical trickery to have dual rails which can be shared. In actual fact, the Kingwin had more load on it, but I'm sure the Corsair would have managed too.

TBH, the only real differences are the LED's which are good for some, but others prefer to have a boring PSU."

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom