1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What projectors should I keep an eye out for on eBay?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ab1385, Dec 18, 2004.

1. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Well, considering looking at projctors for myself having look at some for my parents for a while!

Anyway, I really dont have much to spend, so what cheap yet OK 16:9 projectors should I be looking out for on eBay, old models and such? If it's possible, then I'd like to keep it at around £500, and I'd imagine a few upgrades will be going on over christmas!

What issues with second hand projectors should I be looking at, other than hours on the clock? And also, as a side issue, are many older projectors OK with longer throw distance (~5m)? I looked on projector central at the projection calculator, and only the AE700 seems OK at that distance, which isn't going to come up at £500. :(

Is there anything worthwhile even vaguely good at this price point second hand (especially with a longer throw distance!)

2. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +540
    To be heavly biased, I am selling a Infocus 4800 on ebay at the moment.

For £400 (current price) it is a bargin, that will show you what Lord of the Rings battle scenes are really about. :thumbsup:

It may not be 16:9, but from my experience a 4:3 DLP beats a 16:9 LCD at a similar price.

I have recently replaced the 4800 and after several months looking, I haven't seen any decent 16:9 projectors for less than £1000 on ebay. Atleast, none that are not scams.

I have seen the SP4805 (which is a 16:9 projector) at my local dealer, and the difference is very small.

If I was you, i would save up and buy a Infocus 5700, but they are around £1800.

3. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    A bit old now, but still a great pj is the Sony VPL-W400 . It was one of the first true 16:9 widescreen projectors made and although not cutting edge anymore, still offers fine resolution, excellent colours and a fine picture. You should find one on eBay for no more than £200.
    Something a bit newer, I have seen the new Toshiba ET1 16:9 LCD projector for an incredible £498.99 at : http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=3kcf&referrerid=WD
    This usually retails for well over £800 so is definately a bargain and looks gorgeous too!
    Plus of course, it's brand new and carries a full warranty.

4. gazza166

gazza166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have also been looking at this - gets some good reviews considering the price. I have also found it slightly cheaper at Ebuyer ( £488 delivered) and Technoworld ( £490 delivered ).

There's also one on Ebay which ends today at 2145. It's £370 at the moment which I think is a little expensive given the new price, but there are some good photos of it. Looks very nice.

Anyone have any views/knowledge of the Toshiba ?