1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Projector???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Fatboymart, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Fatboymart

Fatboymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have converted my garage into a home cinema, I have MK THX SS 150 speakers on the walls, I am looking at buying a projector.
    From front to back the throw would be 14ft, I have a usable screen size of 7ft, I can spend around a grand and a half on the projector, if the advise I receive means I have to save to get what I want then so be it.

So far I have searched eBay and taken a visit to Audio excellence in Swansea/Cardiff, most of the LCD PJ’s show loads of chicken wire effect which I cannot stop searching for while watching a film. Also what is “screen door?”

I would like a small unit, but would be willing to put a CRT PJ in place if this is the only option

I would site around 9ft away from the screen, so with a PJ sat nearly on top of my head, would fan noise cause a problem?

Any help would be appreciated
    :zonked:

2. phlashman

phlashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you might be interested in the panasonic pt-ae300 (aka 300ae) quite a few people here have them.

here some info.
    http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/ptae300/ae.pdf

I'm actually going for the 200ae we is a wee bit cheaper.

note: i'm no expert

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your budget is only £1500 you can't get a good CRT PJ for that, maybe a second hand unit- but it still won't be top spec

CRT Projection blows away LCD for picture quality - better blacks, no screen door.

Fan noise on a CRT PJ is noticeable in quiet scenes (ie 2001) not noticeable during action scenes/increased volume

LCD PJ's are more noisier than CRT PJ's.

The Sony G70 is supposed to awesome. Also checkout Barco 8xx series.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    If you're sitting that close to a 7ft screen, the crt is the only option - 'screendoor' and chickenwire effect are the same thing.

A 1024 x 768 DLP projector may be ok (unless you see rainbows) but even then, you're liable to see screendoor, albeit considerably reduced when compared to LCD.

For £1500 you may be able to get a half decent second hand CRT. Just look in the crt forum, and the classifieds forum, and see what you can find out.

Fan noise can be a problem with digital projectors too, so there may be no way round it, but quite often it's not noticeable during a film anyway.

They do need more maintenance than the digital equivalents, but they do produce excellent pictures.

Gary.

5. Fatboymart

Fatboymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone.
    I have taken a look at the Panasonic’s and kind off like what I see, for all round package it isn’t bad at all

I have thought long and hard over this problem for months. Projectorcentral.com has made my problem harder to solve, they say Europe is going to be flooded with cheaper models coming over from the states soon, and good quality they seem too.

From what I am reading on this forum, I think I need to spend around 3000 pound (cannot find pound sign as keyboard is stuck in US mode) to buy a CRT.

I have a Yamaha AX1 and a pioneer DV717 DVD player. If I were to use a CRT what wires would I require to optimize performance?

Are they heavy? Would I have to strengthen the ceiling? (No room for it on the floor)

If I buy second hand how much should I pay for how many lamp hours left?

And is there keystone on a CRT?

Does distance to screen dictate the size of my widescreen image? 7ft is my max which leaves enough space either side just in case the roller requires this.

So many questions…..

Thank you to everyone one more time

6. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a 7 foot screen = 84" diagonal.

I currently use a 160cm * 102cm screen (about 82" diagonal) which is 280cm from my eyes and 300cm from the projector lens. The room is 330cm deep.

11 foot = approx 330cm so your room is about same size as mine.

I use a Sony HS10 projector which is WXGA resolution 1368 *768 and I can see NO pixellation of any kind at that distance. I can only see the individual pixels or the "screendoor" if I stand about 5 feet from the screen.

John

7. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a panny300 with a 92" diagnoal screen, sitting 13' from the screen.

I think the minimum viewing distance from the screen should be about 1.8 to 2.0X the width. Most say 1.5 but you will definitely see some level of pixelisation or artifacts at this distance.

Your planned seating of 9' seems a bit close to me for this PJ so if you cant sit further away I'd think twice about this (or and LCD) projector.

8. Fatboymart

Fatboymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not a good photographer, but I will see if I can zip a few pictures together and attach them tomorrow

And from what I am reading, I think I should carefully measure my room size and viewing distance as the people hear are no mugs

I have tried to sit in a position that doesn't put myself to close to the ES/EX speakers at the rear
    and so, I am sitting between the side one's

I have seen loads of second hand Barco's for sale. some are LCD and others CRT. Are these heavier than the seleco's I see for sale all over the clubs and pubs of this country?