What projector to go for?

amills2005smart

Hi guys and girls not really up on projectors but having seen so many in the home cineman section i want one! Not too bothered about it being HD ready as its only a stop gap for a couple of years, would prefer second hand to brand new, for the obvious money saving reasons.

Got a budget of about £400 and im looking for peoples views on what model and make to go for as its all a bit foreign to me!

Thanks in advance

andrewfee

Novice Member
Seeing as you already have a DLP TV, I assume it's not a problem for you, so I would highly recommend the Toshiba MT200, which is a complete bargain at Dabs.com right now. I got mine for £350 delivered last week, and the image quality is fantastic. The price seems to have jumped back up to £380 (due to popular demand?) but is well worth it: http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

I don't think you can get much better for that kind of money.

I'm not sure I'd recommend second hand, as the bulb may not last that long, and could cost you another £300 or so.

K

Kadders

andrewfee said:
...The price seems to have jumped back up to £380 (due to popular demand?)...
Pretty sure that dabs only dropped the price as a weekend 'special' (they did say the price was limited) - they've had it at £380 for quite a while before that deal.

amills2005smart

No DLP is no problem for me, big fan actually, that looks like a decent projector, no offence Colossal but dont fancy the trip to london!

Any other thought, or any thoughts on what pull down screen to get, or is that a case of how big do i want lol?

colossal

Standard Member
No worries, of course it can be delivered for a bit extra, would have to check.

Be sure the fairly long throw ratio of the MT200 is suitable for you :)

amills2005smart

Yeah colossal it should be ok, as it will be about 3 1/2 m away, although yours is easier on the eye, how much are replacement bulbs for the one you have got?

Also cant believe the MT200 is so cheap on that site, its double the price on the Toshiba Website, suppose it shows what some retailers are making!

colossal

Standard Member
Lamps are £200,

ET1 is fairly short throw & can be easily moved & placed on coffee table etc, thus its looks. Mt200 is long throw. That would be the decider for a lot of people.

andrewfee

Novice Member
colossal said:
Lamps are £200,

ET1 is fairly short throw & can be easily moved & placed on coffee table etc, thus its looks. Mt200 is long throw. That would be the decider for a lot of people.
Seeing as you're supposed to sit around 2x the screen width away to avoid seeing the "screen door effect" I can't see how a shorter throw than the MT200 would be any better.

I've got around 7ft throw and get a 55" screen out of mine - even at this distance I can just see SDE, so I wouldn't want any bigger anyway, and I can't imagine there being much smaller setups than mine.

darkmavis

andrewfee said:
Seeing as you're supposed to sit around 2x the screen width away to avoid seeing the "screen door effect" I can't see how a shorter throw than the MT200 would be any better.

I've got around 7ft throw and get a 55" screen out of mine - even at this distance I can just see SDE, so I wouldn't want any bigger anyway, and I can't imagine there being much smaller setups than mine.

um... sorry to butt in, but you dont get screen door on dlp, just lcd :D) so if you get dlp you will not have any trouble with 'sreen door'

colossal

Standard Member
Et1 - sit it on a coffee table & you sit behind, thus the looks

200 put at the back of the room behind you and sit the same distance away but in front of the projector.

You sit the same distance away in both scenarios

ET1 & all short throw are good for people with small rooms, works well if your sitting right up against the back wall.

Not better just different.

andrewfee

Novice Member
darkmavis said:
um... sorry to butt in, but you dont get screen door on dlp, just lcd :D) so if you get dlp you will not have any trouble with 'sreen door'
You do still get it, it's just that the pixels are much closer together so the image has to be larger before you see it:

(or is SDE something different?)

As I said, I've got a tiny room - 7ft throw with my back right up at the wall and I can just make this out when my MT200 is at max zoom (giving me around a 55" image) so any bigger would be a bad thing.

amills2005smart

Erm dont think herself would be happy with it sat on the table,there enough wires as it is showing, plus its easier to just turn it on and for it to be already set up, so its going in the corner of the room.

£200 for a new lamp, plus the £250 you want Colossal, the new one seems like a better deal mate to be honest.

colossal

Standard Member
amills2005smart

I’m really not trying to force this PJ down your throat honest !

To clarify for anyone else who might be interested the PJ has only done 110 hours out of a possible 3000.

It certainly doesn’t need a new lamp.

Good luck with whatever you get, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

sc1977

Novice Member
colossal's toshiba has only got 100 hrs on the lamp so its not like it needs a new one for ages any way

i bought a toshiba mt1 abour 1 1/2 years ago with the lamp past its 2500 warning (stops counting after that it seems) and it still looks good

i am looking to upgrade in the near future if any one can suggest a suitable replacement