Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What projector - Please help me :D

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lambbuster, Oct 13, 2004.

1. lambbuster

lambbuster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hello there guys.

I currently have a 32" Sony widescreen TV (100hz, model: KV32FX68).

I am looking at getting a projector, but i am really stumped as to which one to get. I don't have the biggest budget, im looking in the £500 range.

If i got one for this price, is it actually worth it ?

Also, are some projectors essentially for presentation and not movie playback?

I will be playing DVDs on it obviously, so it needs to be of decent quality.

If you could give me any suggestions it would be great, i was looking on ebay and there are alot of projectors to be had at this price but im not totally sure if they are for my needs.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Cheers,

Phil

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Brand new? IMHO no, they'd not be worth it .. check the links below, you'll see that you're talking £700 or thereabouts for the cheapest .. also be careful buying on e-Bay, everything is not always what it seems.

If you're buying second-hand then again, I'd be wary of e-Bay, maybe look on here first in the 'classifieds' section, since a new season of projectors is upon us you may very well find members selling current models as they [the members] trudge the upgrade treadmill. :D

Yes, they tend to be extremely bright, designed to be viewed in near-normal light conditions, they also have poor contrast ratios, colour rendition etc. because they're not intended to produce movie-quality images but more likely to be use for Powerpoint presentations etc.

You may want to look at Ivojo's product page to get some idea of the split in products, or maybe Nexnix's site, scroll down to the bottom and look at the 'Data Range' and 'Home Cinema Range' links for a more extensive selection .. I'm not suggesting you buy from either of these stores, though both have excellent reputations, but they're two I have bookmarks for that separate 'home cinema' and 'presentation' projectors.

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Would generally agree with Kragorn, but the Infocus X1 or the Epson TW10 (? check this, there's a thread somewhere here in the last day or two about it) new should be near your budget - stretching to £600 maybe. Unless you really know what you're at (and can afford to lose the money in case you buy a turkey) I'd advise to stay clear of eBay, unless it's an established bricks and mortar company and you can collect the goods in person having seen it working beforehand.

IF you want your first step into front projection, at budget money, then do a Kragorn says and keep an eye on the Hardware for Sale forum here - if you do a search over the last month or 6 weeks you'll see what kind of stuff comes up.

S.

4. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Also On ebay there are a number of dud machines, do a search of just ebay and you will hear stories of people who have purchased these machines that our learned frinds speak about.

Also I saw a couple of panasonic ptae100's sell for around the £500 mark. Unfortunately this is heavily inflated and you cannot take these valuations seriously.

I have just sold mine for £400 to a good friend and thats as much as they are worth.

I decided to save for an extra month to stretch to a PJ that I wanted, consider this option. Then you'll find in a few months that you wont need to upgrade so quickly.

I reckon over a couple of years the residual value of a PJ is around 40% so I would wholly recommend you consider the PJ that you buy and factor in the possible future specs.

Once you have owned a PJ for a few days you will wonder how you ever watched anything on a 32" TV!

Good luck in your search!

Cheers

Tone

5. pongo

pongo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I got lucky on ebay, but if you check out someones feedback, and they offer collection etc., there can be bargains to be had, like my new Toshiba ET1 for £365. The same seller has just sold another one for £420, and says he has a buy it now price of £549. You can also collect from him, if you can get to Watford.

He has another one on there now.

So, Whilst I agree, that you have to be very careful buying on ebay, you can still bag yourself a bargain.

Chris

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32863&item=5724529812

6. lambbuster

lambbuster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i was looking at this one on ebay simply becasue everything else i own is sony:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22610&item=5725155848&rd=1

or this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22610&item=5725621861&rd=1

What do you guys think? Also, theres a guy in the members market selling a sanyo projector for around £375 - is that the better option?

I like the look and sound of the panasonic projectors simply because alot of people have them, but i just missed one for sale in the MM :(

Phil

7. lambbuster

lambbuster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  8. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Without having done a full search on both PJ's the first one on ebay that you have linked to has a very low CR 300:1 although it has a high lumens output this as I have learnt is not always the best for video.

See if you can locate a PJ with 600:1 upwards as the blacks will be blacker.
    Typically a video PJ for use at home should have along the lines of the following;
    Wide screen LCD panels with good pixel count I think my AE100 was something like 858x484 if its lower you will see the pixels on the screen if sat too near.
    600:1+ Contrast ratio
    750+ Lumens

The only other thing to consider is the noise of the fan. Where will you locate the PJ? If its in excess of 35DB you will really hear it!

The two PJ's you have linked seem to be data projectors, typically a data PJ has high ANSI Lumens output, low CR and generally 1024x768 pixels to show a 4:3 image.

I hope this helps you in making your decision, ultimately you have to satisfy yourself but I think everyone here would like to see you happy with whatever you end up with!

Cheers

Tone

9. lambbuster

lambbuster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    having a quick look around - ive seen the Infocus X2 projector. It has 1600 lumens and a 2000:1 contrast ratio and its pretty cheap new at around £600-650

What do you think? I think i may go for this one as its pretty cheap, and i need the money for a decent screen and ceiling mount

Let me know what you think, i really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Thanks,

Phil

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Phil, have you researched and understood the various 'issues' with LCD and DLP projectors? I ask because the X2 is a DLP, which means that some people will see rainbows and for a small minority it makes watching then unbearable, and there's no way for anyone to know if they'll be affected until they've experienced viewing one.

You also may want to read ProjectorCentral's review of the X2, their conclusion may affect your view of it.

I'm afraid there's a common thread running through all the machines you're looking at, they're at best dual-use presentation/multimedia and as such as suffer compromises, which could end up in a disappointing setup for you. Of the projectors you've linked to only the X2 is sold by the couple of sponsor's sites I checked, an indication that the others probably are not at all good for home cinemas.

Sorry to be negative, but it'd be a costly mistake if you got one simply because you could afford it and ended up with something that was un-watchable.

11. dazmanultra

dazmanultra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The X2 does not have the faroudja de-interlacing chip that the X1 has, and as such the X1 is generally better for movies and DVDs than the X2, which is really a budget data projector.

12. lambbuster

lambbuster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    out of these 2 which one would you say is better:

Panny AE200 or the Epson TW10

Let me know, as the epson seems to have better specs (although a louder fan) but alot of people still seem to go for the panasonic

Let me know, again its much appreciated (and sorry for all these questions :D)

Phil

13. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not an expert- but I'm going to the Epson as well :)

14. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I just posted in another thread, the TW10H is a great projector for the money. Great value although it performs as well as a much higher priced projector.