What projector for around 3 grand

B

billmalcolm

Hi All,

I would be really grateful for any advice on which projector to go for. My budget is around 3K. I have a Denon 3910 as the source. I have a Yamaha RX V4600 receiver.

Do I go for an LCD - TX200 or others OR do I go for a DLP type - maybe optoma H79? Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

If rainbows aren't a problem DLP is probably the way to go.

Some contender DLPs:

ProjectionDesign Action Model I and Model II
Samsung SP-H710AE
Optoma H79
Optoma HD72
Mitsubishi HC3000

I'm getting an Optoma H79 delivered tomorrow, previously had an Infocus 7205. I'll let you know how it is.

I think most of the knowledgeable projector people on here reckon the H79 paired with an external scaler will give you a jaw dropping picture.

billmalcolm said:
Hi All,

I would be really grateful for any advice on which projector to go for. My budget is around 3K. I have a Denon 3910 as the source. I have a Yamaha RX V4600 receiver.

Do I go for an LCD - TX200 or others OR do I go for a DLP type - maybe optoma H79? Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

I too use a 3910 as a source with an H79, had it for just three weeks now, and it is absolutely superb. I have seen no rainbows so far, and the picture quality is just outstanding, and that is just with component. Its also unbelievable from Sky+ too (again over component). Absolutely delighted with it. Demos help of course, as you do need to know if DLP gives you any sort of fatigue. I have seen the TX200, HS60 and IMHO the H79 is a considerable step up. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys - really appreciated.

With respect to the rainbow effect, is it very noticeable on these single chip DLPs and is it more annoying than chicken wire from the LCDs?

Want advantages are there for having a DLP over an LCD in terms of the image quality and overall userability.

Why would you need to use an external scaler with the H79? The way I understand it (and I am fairly new to all this) is that my 3910 will upscale all my DVDs to 720p/1080i anyway.

Would you consider waiting for cheaper 1080p projectors to come along at the end of the year bearing in mind the native resolution of blue ray?

Cheers,

Bill

billmalcolm said:
With respect to the rainbow effect, is it very noticeable on these single chip DLPs and is it more annoying than chicken wire from the LCDs?

Some people are susceptable to rainbows some aren't. If you're one of the unlucky ones then chicken wire has nothing on rainbows, at their worst they can make the picture physically unwatchable, whereas chicken wire can probably be described as annoying/distracting.

billmalcolm said:
Want advantages are there for having a DLP over an LCD in terms of the image quality and overall userability.

Better blacks, no chicken wire, regarded as more filmic. LCDs are often more flexible in terms of placement though with decent lens shift.

billmalcolm said:
Why would you need to use an external scaler with the H79? The way I understand it (and I am fairly new to all this) is that my 3910 will upscale all my DVDs to 720p/1080i anyway.

The 3910 has a good scaler, but an dedicated scaler is better still as they are purpose designed to do just that, instead of being an added feature in the DVD player.

billmalcolm said:
Would you consider waiting for cheaper 1080p projectors to come along at the end of the year bearing in mind the native resolution of blue ray?

The $64,000 question. That's up to you really, you can spend the rest of your life waiting for the next big thing that's around the corner, or pick you moment and jump in. You could be enjoying your new PJ for six months or more before the next models are out, as we don't know how long it will be before 1080p projectors drop down to similar prices to the 1280x720 ones we have now. Then do you wait for 3 chip 1080p models? :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom