1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what progressive setting?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lhough20, Apr 20, 2005.

1. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,
    this has probably been discussed and sorry if it has already! (a search didn't turn up anything obvious)

I am new to the world of progressive scan and just wondered if someone could tell me the "best" setting to set my scaler at which can do:

480p (576p in PAL), 720p, 1080i

my tv can also accept:

480i(60Hz),480p(60Hz),576i(50Hz),576p(50Hz),720p(50Hz),1080i(50Hz)

if there is such a thing as a better quality setting then which one is it? also is there one good setting for sky and another for dvd's etc?

sorry if its a dumb question with an obvious answer! :confused:

thanks for any help
    Lee

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The simple answer is try it and see. :)

My experience with my own equipment is that 720p is better than 1080i (to my eyes), however so much depends on the quality of the equipment involved, how clean or otherwise the video source is etc. that the only sensible answer to your question is 'whatever setting you find the best'. :)

If you have a digital display then usually the best PQ is obtained when you feed it with a resolution the same as its' own (known as 1:1 mapping) but there are caveats about this so it isn't always the case, however it's a good starting point.

3. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help.
    i'll try out the settings tomorrow when the tv comes and see.