what profector Benq PE5120 or INFOCUS Screenplay 4805

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lodwales, Nov 4, 2005.

1. lodwales

lodwales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok im going to go down the projector route rather than plasma or lcd, for the simple fact that the only time i will use it will be once or twice a week to watch a film, and for the simple fact that it covers my wall, just looking on a couple of forums and seems that the best buys are these

INFOCUS Screenplay 4805 £644 inc vat

Benq PE5120 £470 inc vat

what is the better option

2. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought the 4805 and cann't fault it, I paid £695.00 with a ceiling bracket from www.audiovisiononline.co.uk. It is a graded one but they come with a new bulb and a 3 year warranty, and they look brand new.

3. Pixels

Pixels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,963
    Post moved to the corrct forum.

5. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I have a 5120 and my mate has the 4805. My honest opinion is that I don't think the extra £200 for the 4805 is worth it. There's very little to choose between them. I'm sure the 5120 will suit especially if you're only going to be using it a few times per week. However, you'll find that you'll start watching other stuff like TV etc and then you'll wonder if there's a better PJ around. This is when upgradeitis kicks in :D

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    owey is that 3 year warranty the Gold one that offers you next day replacement? if it is i'd say go for it, to get that kind of service at the price is unheard of...lol
    (i have the 7205 infocus, got it from sevenoaks sound and vision shops, 3 year Gold warranty...well chuffed...specially as the projector is stunning...even tho its a refurb)

edit: i just checked that audiovisiononline link, couldnt see the offer you got there......only normal price with standard 2 year warranty...

7. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In my opion the 4805 is in a totally different league than the 5120, and yes I've seen them both, and yes they were both properly set up!!

4805 :smashin:
    5120 :thumbsdow

heres another option for £380 inc. VAT and P&P with a 2 year warranty!

Tosh ET1 :thumbsup:

8. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I've had a shed load of projectors over the years and the PE5120 is the best one by a country mile.
    Blacks are good and the colours are vibrant and rich for a DLP machine.
    I've read a lot of personel reviews by folks on various forum groups and some prefer the 4805 and some prefer the 5120.
    One thing you should know though. The 4805 is apparently quite a bit noiser then the 5120.

Both machines are amazing machines for the money. You can't got wrong with either of them.

9. citrac

citrac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a b grade 4805 from hifibitz with a mount and although i havent set it up properly iyet it looks fantastic to me. I think it maight be a bit noisy though. I am hoping when i get it up on ceiling it will be OK. Any thought on noise from others?

10. citrac

citrac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just notice cyberheaters comments re noise on 4805. it is much better in low power mode.

11. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Somebody who's got a 4805 should comment on this but from the reviews i've read they reckon it's just too noisy in normal mode and acceptable in low power mode.

The 5120 is acceptable in normal mode and really quiet in low power mode.

One thing you should be aware of. Some projectors are noisier if they are slung upside down from the ceiling. My BenQ PB6100 was relatively quiet in ecomomy mode but when you flipped the image for ceiling mounting, the noise was a loud as normal mode. Worth checking out.

12. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Iv'e got my 4805 on the ceiling and I don't notice any noise out of it. I do have the volume high when watching a film or playing on my Playstation. But I think that gives you the cinema like feel to it?. I think if I had the volume low and listened for the pj noise I am sure I would hear it.
    Also I have looked on Audiovisiononlines website and it looks like they have sold all the B-grade stock of the 4805, but it could be worth a call to see?, and it is only a basic 3 year warranty I think?.

13. citrac

citrac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks owey. i will be mouting on the ceiling soon i hope and will report back.