What product will do this for me ?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by russellw, Jan 31, 2004.

Tags:
  1. russellw

russellw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You know what it's like .... you're busy working away in the office and you lose track time "****, I should have set the VCR to record XYZ tonight"
    So what product will allow me to remotely access a video recording device at home either using an SMS on the mobile (preferred) or via the web somehow ?
    Is there a piece of hardware that will do this or a software based product ?

TIA,

Russell

PS looking at getting an iMac at the mo.....

2. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guessed it - a TiVo!! :smashin:

Although this functionality isn't available out of the box for UK TiVos, many people have added a network card (TurboNet) and some freeware (TiVoWeb) to allow just this!

With a network card and TiVoWeb, assuming you have Broadband, you can set your TiVo up to appear as a website on your home IP address. Then, using your browser, you can fully control your TiVo from your computer at work etc. There is also a WAP version of TiVoWeb for use in mobile phones!

For more info, see the TiVo Community Forums (closed today for archiving) and do a search for "TiVoWeb".

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    the downside of this in uk is that ip addresses are dynamically assigned, ie you get a new one every time you sign on, yes even for broadband, yes even for NTL ot Telewest, who 'refresh' ie cut off, your connection every 4-6 weeks, which means a new IP, which is why they include in their T&C a rule saying 'no hosting'. Whilst technically feasible, it's nowhere near as simple as Mr Tivo here would have you think. A pc and remote control software controlled by telephone is the only reliable way I can think of, but highly unsatisfactory from every other point of view. Blindlemon, I'll admit tivo is superior in every other way.

4. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, OK, I admit I glossed over the techy stuff :)

But if you're into computers, know what an IP address, router and firewall are, can change an IDE drive, can read and follow instructions (or even better know a smattering of linux or unix) and enjoy messing around with that sort of thing - then you'l have great fun :smashin:

And if you get stuck there are loads of helpful people on the TiVo Community Forum who just love to give advice... ;)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Don't forget to check your IP address every morning before leaving for work....

6. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or use a broadband supplier that offers a fixed IP address, like
    f2s.co.uk ;)

7. russellw

russellw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys.
    So is there anything other than a Tivo that would help me ?
    ie. any of the up and coming Freeview PVRs ?

I here what you say about Static IP addresses.
    I've been looking for a broadband ISP recently and after a lot of research I've decided to go for Firefly
    1Mb download, unlimited POP E-mail addresses, 200Mb webspace, 3 month contract, free static IP (from end Feb), excellent support and ISP rating all for £30/month + half price activation (£30)
    I'll be signing up for this tonight.

Russell

8. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Or use dyndns (www.dyndns.org) - as a bonus, Netgear routers support updating a dyndns ip automatically.

This gives you a "static" address e.g. myninjadomain.dyndns.org which will always map onto your IP, regardless if it's changed (providing you keep it updated).