What Processor can do this?

N

nathan_silly

Say I've got Kef Q55 fronts, Kef Model 100 centre, Kef Q15 rears, Kef dipole sides, Rel Stentor sub.

Now for AV use it'll sound best everything set to small, 80hz crossover, subwoofer set to 80hz.

But for music you might want the Kef Q55's set a bit lower, say 40hz, with the subwoofer set to 40hz.

What processor can do this with 7 channel sound?- two seperate speaker size settings depending on the input stream?

The Lexicons can- sort of- if your standard speaker setting is large to all, and you press THX it changes to small 80hz all round. But it only works in 5.1 mode (no Logic 7 expansion)

Whilst I don't know of any Processor that does what you're after, you can get around it to some extent if the Processor has a DIRECT Mode and you have a REL sub. Assuming you have all speakers set to small, bass to sub, crossover to 80hz(or 100hz etc).

Connect the REL via BOTH the High & Low level connections, then set the sub to either Mode 2 or 4 (this bypasses the subs crossover at low level). This leaves you free to set the subs crossover and volume for the High Level connection to wherever you want. Bearing in mind you would need to use the Processors DIRECT mode as this usually avoids any bass management and will send full range signals to the front left & right channels.

Depending on the Processor you may have to switch OFF the SW low level output to avoid any bass doubling.

Unfortunately, this will only work for 2ch playback.

I have a sort of recollection from somewhere that the Arcam AV8 may be able do this - but I wouldn't like to say where I got that idea from.

I'm pretty sure the AV8 can do it - been reading the manual for the past couple of days and this sort of thing is assignable per input, which is a great feature.

Though the REL method mentioned works well and is what I used to do with my A1.

Actually I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Meridian 568.2 could do this too - in general it allows you to set up different groups of settings on a per-input basis.

Meridian 568.2 can have different crossover settings for:

1.....Music
3.....Logic

All can be adjusted from 30Hz - 150Hz in steps of 1Hz:D

Adzman

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom