1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What price for a dvd ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by swartzy, Jun 14, 2001.

1. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Hi Folks,
    There has been a lot of speculation by the recent announcement of dvd pricing between Europe and the U.S.A.
    A lot of forum members together with dvd buyers in general are in agreement that dvd pricing is too high...
    I am curious to know what the forum members believe a dvd should cost ???????

regards
    :)swartzy :)

2. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    £10.99.

Maybe £12.99 if its a double disc affair with loads of extras ala Gladiator or Fight Club.

I actually pay £20.99 for most R1 discs from www.discemporium.com at the moment :(

Have to say though that it still represents better value for money than shelling out £30-40 on a game for the PC or PS2.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think that is around the same I would wish for after conversion.
    Currently I also have to pay a premium for R1 discs to "allow import", comes to around GBP20, too.

Picked up some DVDs in Australia at AUD25 - 42 (the latter was Gladiator R4 double disc set), most were around AUD35 +/- which I think is quite acceptable though AUD30/GBP10 or less would be nicer. ;)

In Germany discs cost typically DEM40-60 (GBP13-20), depending on shop and title.
    But sometimes you also get bargains like "Das Boot" @ DEM35 and "Lola Rennt" (Run, Lola, Run) at less than DEM20, in DTS that is.

4. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I used to have a large collection of Laserdiscs. Admittedly they were more expensive to reproduce than DVD'S (though cheaper to master), but I had many that cost upwards of $50 per film. Indeed, the 'From Dusk 'til Dawn SE' cost £55.

Anyway, the point is that even if DVD's were this expensive I would still be buying them, though in nowhere near the quantities I do now.

What do I think they should cost? Well, I'd prefer to pay less than I do now of course, but I've no complaints about paying between £14 and £18 for a R1 disc of a film (delivered), a bit less for TV series as there tend to be a great many more discs in a 'set' - and generally fewer extras available.

[ 15-06-2001: Message edited by: Confucius ]

5. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Actually - dropping the price of R2 disks could be worse for us in the long run.

Think about it - the main reasons we buy R1 films is generally cos the transfer is better, more extras, and available before R2.
    Not necessarily because of the price point.

If they dropped the price of R2 it would just be an excuse to cheapen the transfer process (even further than it is now) and strip them of what little extras they currently have.

Am I completely bonkers, or do I have a point? :confused:

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    HI,

Juz makes an interesting point. The companies could use the price reduction as an easy get-out-clause for themselves to say that that's why they no longer add any extras on DVD's.

Personally, I am happy paying up to £20 for an R1 DVD, and up to the same for an R2/R4 DVD. Having said that, it would be nice if they were cheaper, but then, I'm one of those people who thinks that prices should be flexible on titles. That way, when something like "CTHD" comes out on R2 on Monday, companies will be trying to out-do one another to give the best deal, which is only a good thing for the customer.

Just my opinion...

Pooch

7. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    A lot of interesting replies...Thanks...
    I am of the same opinion as Reiner,i.e. that dvds should cost the same as R1 counterparts excluding any postage and with the same extras.This is just a thought on other points raised but if R1 in most cases offer greater extras at a lower price how can it not be matched in the U.K. market.I believe it is back to the old demand and supply theory.....if people continue to pay higher prices for U.K. dvds why should price be reduced??????Thanks for all the replies made up of a lot of valid points....

regards
    :)swartzy :)

8. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would'nt nind paying the price that they are now if we go what they get in the US . i am mainly sickend by the fact that you can get a r1 with dts for a lot cheeper than r2 without

i tend to stand by my thoughts about price. i have not to this time paid the full price for a dvd . i tend to watch out for sales . i think that 2 for 25 i fair and in my opinion all disks should be around the 12-13 quid price point rather than the £20 that they are in a lot of places