1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What price for a Barco 808

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mazzymx6, Aug 5, 2005.

1. mazzymx6

mazzymx6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking for a projector to give me a tv quality picture, ive been told that CRT projectors are the best quality picturewise and that Barco 808 are excellent value.

How much do they cost ? and wheres best to buy them from ?

btw perviously ive been considering lcp pjs (the z3 and the ae700), im assuming that the 808 will blow these away in terms of picture quality
    (ive tried searching this forums for threads that have barco 808 + ae700 in them , but there doesnt semm to be any that compare them)

Your help is much appreciated

Cheers

maz

2. condor

condor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there, afraid I do not know a thing about lcd projectors or dlp for that matter, however I do have a BarcoGraphics 808s. Although the latter technologies have come a long way they cant compete with a crt projector in terms of picture quality or price.

I run my 808 via my computer at a resolution of 1280 by 960 which seems to be a good setting for it. THe depth perception and clarity of the picture surpasses anything I have seem save for higher model crt projectors but these are very expensive. I recently saw a barco 808 go for just over a thousand on ebay, this was a very good deal for the buyer as I reckon it was worth at least 2500 on the tube conditions alone. Just type a search into google for crt projectors and follow some links from there as this is one of the best ways to learn about crts.

Bear in mind the tubes on a crt will last about 7000 to 10000 hours or more depending how well you set up the projector and that you dont overdrive it. That in itself will save you a fortune compared to the 1000 or so hours you get out of other technologies. Replacement tubes for a barco data 808 new are about 700 quid and for one like mine which uses sony tubes closer to 1200. Factor this into your equation when buying you certainly dont want a projector with tubes that have very bad burns or excessive uneven shading of the tube area.

Crt projectors offer the best value for money right now just be prepared for a monster of a item about 70, 85 kg depending on the model and a lot of work if you intend to set it up yourself. Once it is set up though its a sight to behold, get rid of the wife or girlfriend if they dont like it! nothing gets between me and my crt! good luck mate.

3. mazzymx6

mazzymx6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how much did your 808 cost you to buy and install ?

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    MazzyMx6 there are only a handfull of people left selling CRT's in the UK

I strongly recomend you go see a projector in action to assess the size and picture quality your self.

Where in the country are you?