What pre-set picture settings are recommended

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Hocking88, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Hocking88

Hocking88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hey guys first off apologies if this is not in the correct forum, but I am just after some opinions. I have the panasonic VT55, and was curious about what settings people generally use with their sets.

I would love to have it professionally calibrated but that is not really an option, I have been switching between "normal" and THX cinema. The normal setting is brighter, however I hear THX is supposed to give a better overall picture. The THX setting does appear darker and also looks a little zoomed out if that makes sense? People who use this setting would know what I mean.

Anyways just keen to know thoughts.

Also settings such as - colour balance, vivid colour, c.a.t.s., p-nr what should I be doing with them? Or am I best off just leaving it all. I want to get the best picture I can without spending countless hours moving the sharpness, contrast etc up and down.

Thanks

2. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Use THX or a pro setting, avoid dynamic.
    For HD you want sharpness set low at 0 to maybe 15, default if I remember is half way, fine for SD but pointless with HD.

Basics
    Contrast: this alters the top end or 'whites'
    Brightness: Alters the lower end or 'blacks'
    Gamma: Alters overall luminosity
    Colour temp: Alters the colours globally, nearest to accurate without a cal is warm1

More advanced
    White ballance: Alters greyscale the base all colour is put down on. This needs to be free from any colour ideally.
    Colour ballance: this alters the sets RGB ballance and includes colour saturation as well as brightness.

pnr is picture noise reduction, best to leave this off.

cats is an automatic contrast correction that alters to your environment, personally I think its best set to off.

Best places to look for more info is picture perfect on here and the owners thread.

Bare in mind all sets vary if you plan on trying other members settings, you could end up with a worse picture.

I'd post a link to picture perfect but Im on my phone and its playing silly buggers.

3. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
  4. AndreiNR

AndreiNR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    No THX in the first hundreds of hours. It disables the pixel orbitor!

5. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Dont panic!! Blimy :eek::laugh: THX is fine if contrast isn't set too high, my V20 and GT30 used THX presets to start with.

A pixel orbiter is not the be all and end all to preventing IR, if the sets prone to it as many are it will still happen. Far more important to balance brightness and contrast and to keep sharpness low, maybe even 0.

The orbiter in THX is no set to off if I remember, its greyed out on auto, its not as active as other modes but its not off, this has been discussed several times.

6. xit2050

xit2050

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    The pixel orbiter will not prevent burn in, it will just blur a burnt-in image.
    If that is an improvement is another question...