What Pre-amp?

joust

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I have been using an Arcam SR250 as a pre-amp in my lounge 2ch setup (see sig), using it as an HDMI switch for all my inputs to TV. The unit has developed a fault, and I'm now considering what could be my options......

1. change to another pre-amp - Lyngdorf 2170/2400?
2. Change to a cinema pre-amp/integrated that is good for 2ch? Marantz 8802a/8805/8015? Arcam AVR5?
3. as the SR250 meets my needs, just repair the Arcam?

I'm currently using my Denon X8500 in the place of the Arcam for the interim (rendering the cinema room out of action), the 2ch performance isn't as good as the Arcam (but operability much better).

All options/opinions welcome.

Joust

Hi Joust,

The Lyngdorf 2170 is discontinued unfortunately. The 3400 is the better option.

You could also consider the McIntosh MX100 11.2 pre amp processor. It is fantastic. I run one in my own personal media room and we have one on demonstration with a PMC based loudspeaker 5.1 system. Awesome for 2 channel.

Rich@SeriouslyCinema

A stereo preamplifier with HDMI is the NAD M12 preamplifier with the HDM2 module. It supports both MM and MC cartridges.

The McIntosh MX100 is an 11.2 digital only processor; it offers no analogue connectivity, but you list an AT-LP5. The McIntosh model with analogue support is the MX123, which offers 13.2 channels, and supports an MM cartridge.

Your cheapest option is to get the Arcam repaired.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom