• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

what power supply should i get????

thx-dan

Standard Member
hi :lease: advise me in what power supply to get for my pc
ie watts ??
running a core 2 2.66 extreme
x2 geforce 8800 gts 640
4 gb of ocz pc2 9200
no cooling fan on cpu she is running -41
and the rest of the norm:)
thanks for help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thx-dan

Standard Member
i tend to do that in life alot go for the overkill maybee will take you good advise and go for 800w what is a good one??? thanks for help:):):)

Last edited:

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
I agree you will not need a 1000w PSU. Even a 850w is going to seriously be overdoing it unless you will be Sli-ing GTX 280's.

Also I would not buy from Ebay as you need somewhere reliable for returns if anything goes wrong, and that is rarely ebay sellers.

Furthermore for the same above reason I would avoid Coolermaster PSU's. They don't honour their warranties. I contacted Coolermasters warranty RMA department, and their support help, three times and they just ignored me (the emails were sent to both addresses, none were answered).

Luckily after contacting them instead Ebuyer allowed me to swap the Coolermaster PSU for another brand and got the fantastic Corsair never looked back

I would honestly recommend either of these two PSU's.

650W Be Quiet Dark Power PRO BN073 Modular PSU 87% Eff

Or

620W Corsair HX Series Modular SLi PSU

These are the two best performing PSU's from what I have read in reviews, also I own the latter :thumbsup:

Hope this helps

Krakin

Established Member
One of these Hiper 880W at £81.28inc vat should be fine. I have one for my Q6600 with GTX280.

They're very quiet.

If you follow the link they have the tech specs on Ebuyer. Its a Hiper Type M 880W although for some reason they don't say the Type M part of the name. The Type R is about £20 more if you want all the usb ports they built into it and the detachable cables and you can get that one most places.

The power cable is nicely long which was important to me, as the psu is on the bottom of my case and the connectors at the top of the Asrock motherboard on my older AMD computer which has a Type M 880w too.

PS3 Tag, Luggs

Established Member
hi :lease: advise me in what power supply to get for my pc
ie watts ??
running a core 2 2.66 extreme
x2 geforce 8800 gts 640
4 gb of ocz pc2 9200
no cooling fan on cpu she is running -41
and the rest of the norm:)
thanks for help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plug 'em in don't ya, 13 amp fuse backed up with a 30 amp trip (RCD) on the downstairs ring main, say 5 amp per kw, that's more than enought for a PC

williamw1987

Established Member
I'd seriously considering going with a Corsair branded PSU. They are rock solid.

Strongly agree. Corsair PSU's are easily one of the best on the market, completely rock solid. I have one of the older 520W HX series PSU's and they are very good adn very quiet too. You can get a 650W TX series PSU now, so would definately be worth looking in to getting a Corsair.

As for Hiper PSU's like mentioned above, there old PSU's had a ton of problems, kept crapping out and taking components with them etc... don't know if this has been resolved in the newer PSU's but definately something to keep in mind ;).

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
As for Hiper PSU's like mentioned above, there old PSU's had a ton of problems, kept crapping out and taking components with them etc... don't know if this has been resolved in the newer PSU's but definately something to keep in mind ;).
One thing to add about Hiper, would be for me their after sales service is one of the best I have ever seen.

Of all the companies I have needed after sales help from I would easily rate them in the top two.

(As mentioned earlier Coolermaster the worst)

CP-PC

Established Member
it was only hipers type r power supplies that had problems the type m's are fine. corsair tx's are brilliant, and there not to pricey either (compared to say a pc power and cooling psu)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom