1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What power rating for a room 4x5m?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hobbes, Sep 5, 2001.

1. hobbes

hobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room is 4 metres by 5 metres and i need suugestions on what power rating i should look for in an amp.

Is the Marantz SR4200 at 5x70w powerful enough?

Or should i go for the Yamaha DSP-AX620 at 5x90w?

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The Marantz should be enough. Bear in mind (not sure on the exact science): to double the subjective maximum output of an amp, you need to times the wattage by 10. Therefore, the difference in Wattage is not too important. I suggest that you listen to both and see which sounds better.

Russell

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crudley put, a (modest) 3db increase in SPL's will require a (not at all modest) Doubling of the "power" the amp. Current delivery and available capactitance will have by far the biggest effect on sound quality regardless of what "peak wattage" might be.<br />(on a totally honest but not in anyway trying to "encourage" you i have used three generations of Yamaha amps, but not at present and can say without doubt i never found them wanting in the "grunt" department, only have good memories on haw reliable they were and all offered a perfectly acceptable performance)

[ 05-09-2001: Message edited by: SteveEX ]</p>

4. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Efficiency of your speakers and size of your neighbours if you have any might also be factors.<br />I have Yam DSPE 800 linked to Musical Fidelity X-A100r which gives 70w x 5 in a very slightly smaller room, goes pretty loud without any nasties. <br />Richard

5. hobbes

hobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll probably be using some M73's, undecided on rears and centre.

Would M74's be too much for the size of the room?

6. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a 4x4 room. and i own a 100w per channel sony amp. the db1070.

try to match the speakers to the amp. i own B&W 601's and the rears are the 3 series. both have a max amp capacity of 100w anyway.

as for over powering a room...they CANT. its more about quality of sound rather than volume. but the extra volume is there if u need it. if anything i would prefer MORE quality dispite my relatively small room. remember mst sound comes from the centre speaker. so its useful to have decent sound going to it from a quality amp. i wish my CC6 had slightly more grunt, but then maybe it will sound better after being run in.