What Power Amp?

A

ant1973

I'm looking for some advice on a power amp for my HiFi kit listed below. I really like the sound of the Kandy amp but think that the sound is a little bright at medium to high listening levels (although I suspect the speakers aren't helping either). I was also hoping to improve soundstaging and bass depth.

I'm looking to spend £250-350 on a second hand power amp to remedy this situation and have been thinking along the lines of a Caspian (which I have been offered for £300) or a Parasound 1000 (£200ish). Apart from that I have only really considered some of the more powerful 99x series Rotels. My only concern with a Rotel is that from past listening experience they can sound a little too clinical for my liking.

Any thoughts?

R

recruit

What Speaker Cableing are u useing?
I thought the Monitor Audio's are smooth sounding speaker's but if using silver speaker wire with bright electronics can make the sound alot brighter than usual.

A

ant1973

Having blind tested a variety of cheap - moderate speaker cabling over the years, I've reached the (non-scientific, subjective) conclusion that it doesn't make much of a difference to my ears. With that in mind I use mains cable for the wiring. In the same vein, apparently, at a recent hifi show all of the Quad gear was being demo'd using a black and decker extension lead!!

R

recruit

I suppose u maybe right but it is all down to what sounds ok thru your ears, if that works for u ok, i expect u will save alot on money on speaker cable!!

Top Bottom