Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What Power Amp?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by ant1973, Apr 8, 2004.

1. ant1973

ant1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for some advice on a power amp for my HiFi kit listed below. I really like the sound of the Kandy amp but think that the sound is a little bright at medium to high listening levels (although I suspect the speakers aren't helping either). I was also hoping to improve soundstaging and bass depth.

I'm looking to spend £250-350 on a second hand power amp to remedy this situation and have been thinking along the lines of a Caspian (which I have been offered for £300) or a Parasound 1000 (£200ish). Apart from that I have only really considered some of the more powerful 99x series Rotels. My only concern with a Rotel is that from past listening experience they can sound a little too clinical for my liking.

Any thoughts?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What Speaker Cableing are u useing?
    I thought the Monitor Audio's are smooth sounding speaker's but if using silver speaker wire with bright electronics can make the sound alot brighter than usual.

3. ant1973

ant1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having blind tested a variety of cheap - moderate speaker cabling over the years, I've reached the (non-scientific, subjective) conclusion that it doesn't make much of a difference to my ears. With that in mind I use mains cable for the wiring. In the same vein, apparently, at a recent hifi show all of the Quad gear was being demo'd using a black and decker extension lead!!

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose u maybe right but it is all down to what sounds ok thru your ears, if that works for u ok, i expect u will save alot on money on speaker cable!!