Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

What Power Amp?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ant1973, Apr 4, 2004.

1. ant1973

ant1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of building a couple of HTPCs (one for music and one for DVD). Having read most of the posts on this and other forums, I'm prepared to try using the HTPC as a pre-amp.

As matters presently stand I have a Roksan Kandy amp which sounds pretty good to my non audiophile ears. However, that said, I am quite keen to genuinely improve the overall sound quality of the system. As my music server is going to contain an RME 96/8 soundcard can anyone suggest a power amp which will improve upon the amplification that the Kandy presently provides? In particular I have been offered a s/h Roksan Caspian power amp for £320. Does anyone feel that this would represent a genuine upgrade?

Maximum budget is £4-500 for something second hand.

PS Have there been really significant advances in the underlying technology behind power amps to the extent that I should automatically exclude quality power amps which are more than say 3 years old?

Thanks in advance

2. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would suggest that you buy second hand hifi power amps, I've bought good Quad and Naim power amps in the past - 3 - 5 years old they are available pretty cheap and they are built to last for ever - I have had to replace some caps in a quad power amp, but then it was 30 years old!

Try ebay or a good hifi shop may well let you try them on sale or return - you could try russ andrews if you are near Edinburgh..

3. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use a RME 9632 into a Roksan Caspian power amp for my music setup. I use Xlobby with winamp and APE files and it sound pretty good to me. The power amp has a auto switch off, so when not using Xlobby for music the amp powers down automatically.

I currently changing my system to a server based system which will be on 24/7. The auto shut down of the amp will a great extra towards automation.